2010 Camry stalls at idle

Today my girlfriends 2010 Camry started stalling at idle. When sitting the rpm slowly drop down to stall and the engine idles very rough during that patch of time. When it is revved the engine seems perfectly fine. What do I need to be looking for here?

Look at the intake track, look for the plastic hose that runs from intake to airbox. On our '11 (which I think is a different motor) a piece fell out, making for a 1" diam air leak. Not sure what the part was, some sort of resonator I suspect. After asking around I wasn't the only one who had it pop out (and it popped right back in too).

That said, O2 sensors are not typically something to ignore. I would think it would idle ok but I guess it depends on which one went, and why. What code is it?

I have since found out that her father cleaned the battery terminals and reset the computer just prior to this happening. That is the only immediate change to the car before this incident. I'm thinking that ill let the computer reacclimate and look into the oxygen sensor too.

If it has a Check Engine illuminated that should be fixed right away. The o2 sensor is not something to ignore. It may have a upstream and downstream sensor. I would at least change the one. I typically change both when I am doing it.

I have since found out that her father cleaned the battery terminals and reset the computer just prior to this happening. That is the only immediate change to the car before this incident. I'm thinking that ill let the computer reacclimate and look into the oxygen sensor too.

I was going to ask earlier if the battery was disconnected recently. If the idle relearn procedure wasn’t done it will exhibit the issue you mentioned. Although just driving it should work.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with a 2001 Camry that turned out to be the EGR valve. Took it off and cleaned it. It was stuck open. Simple fix. Only problem I saw was at idle it stumbled a bit.

The code was p0137 which I believe is for the downstream o2 sensor. Since yesterday the car has been working relatively well but I’ll try to convince her to let me change it.

The ECM has to relearn the idle. Toyota’s don’t like to idle after a battery disconnect until you let it sit and run for a while. The do the same with it idle in drive and reverse.

I’d also change that O2 but likely not the cause of your problem

When my 2004 Subaru did this, there was no OBDII code. After much troubleshooting it turned out to be a bad idle air control valve. Replaced that and it's been running great since.

However, several other things could cause this, O2 sensor, crank or cam position sensor, etc.

Back