2009 Toyota Matrix 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, I had to drive my friend to the San Jose International Airport from Santa Cruz, CA. Since the Saturn is at home and I'm at school 150 miles away, I rented a 2009 Toyota Matrix 1.8 from ZipCar. This particular car had 20,000 miles on it and according to the window sticker, the oil was changed right before my rental.

For those of you who are familiar with this area, driving to the San Jose International Airport from Santa Cruz requires traveling on Highway 17, which is a windy highway with many sharp turns. The Matrix handled surprisingly well for an economy car, but this may have been because the two front tires were brand new Firestone Firehawk GTs. I really wished that the repair shop had installed the two new tires on the rear axle, because at times, I pushed the car hard enough that I could feel the rear end slip slightly-- new tires in the rear would've prevented this from occuring. Still, body lean was acceptable for a small car and the suspension soaked up the bumps quite nicely. After driving this car and comparing it to my friend's Corolla, I could tell that the Corolla, a 2006 with 55,000 miles, would benefit from new struts.

The interior of the car was OK. There was lots of hard plastic everywhere, but the controls were well-labeled and all of the controls were easily accessible from the driver's seat. The driving position is FANTASTIC. In fact, I think it's better than most midsized cars. I'm 5'10", and my knees did not even come close to rubbing the steering wheel.

I was also quite impressed with the electric power steering on the Matrix. I was expecting the steering to be overboosted and lacking in feel. While the steering was numb at low speeds, it was not overboosted. At higher speeds, there was some feel, but it definitely wasn't a Honda. However, the steering was light enough for easy parallel parking, but firmed up considerably during normal driving. The steering felt very "tight" on turns, and very accurate during spirited driving on the highway. Overall, good job with the steering.

I can't say the same about the drivetrain. My base model Matrix rental contained an all-new, 1.8L "2ZR-FE" engine. It is the same engine that is used in the 2009 Corolla. Despite the addition of VVT-I on both the intake and exhaust side, this engine is still inadequate for the Matrix. With four people in the car, traveling down Hwy 17 required depressing the accelerator pedal 2/3 of the way in order to maintain 50 mph. The 4-speed automatic transmission was constantly hunting, which I think was part of the issue. On the return trip, I used "D3," which helped considerably with the hunting and allowed me to maintain speed much more easily. However, because I kept the engine in 3rd, the engine RPM stayed above 4000 for much of the return trip. Luckily, this new 1.8L sounded quite refined, even at the higher RPMs. The overall fuel economy for the trip was less than 30 mpg (estimated), which is a bit less than the EPA highway estimate of 31. Overall, I'd say skip the 1.8L and opt for the larger 2.4L engine with the 5-speed automatic. According to CR, the 2.4L delivers much better fuel economy than the EPA estimates and the larger engine would be a better match for this application.

Overall the Matrix is a decent car from my experience, but I haven't driven any of its competitors so I don't know if it's really a class leader. Aside from the driving position, it doesn't seem to stand out in any particular way. If you are planning to buy one, I would definitely skip the 1.8L and opt for the larger engine.

20,000 miles and it needed 2 new tires already...?
shocked2.gif
That's disgusting!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
20,000 miles and it needed 2 new tires already...?
shocked2.gif
That's disgusting!

All of the older ZipCars have evenly worn tires, so I suspect that the tire replacement was due to road hazard, not the lack of rotation.

I was in Phoenix recently for work, and a colleague had a Vibe GT (with the 2.4). I thought it was a pretty nice car overall, I liked the look of the new Vibe with the big wheels it had. I also think the Vibe has a nicer interior than the Matrix, the GM radio is also much nicer than the Toyota radio that seems to have been recycled form the 80's.

If I had one complaint about it, the engine was asthmatic. It thrashed significantly to accelerate and to pass, but was quiet enough at a cruise. I suspect it would be much better with a standard transmission. I've driven Highway 17 3 times in my life, and I can't imagine not having the pedal to the medal in that car.

I think they'd have done better to put the 2.4L in the base model and drop in a V6 for the GT. It could be a real hot hatch with GM's 252hp 3600 VVT.

I think it's standard. I didn't drive the car, but I suspect that it would have been much more pleasant with an MT. It sounded very overworked with the AT.

My brother has a 2009 Pontiac Vibe (mechanical twin) with the 2.4 and 5-speed. During normal driving, the engine seems to move the car quite effortlessly. Since it's not my own car, I never opened it up too much, but it certainly felt quite responsive.

The gearing used in the manual transmission seems to likely have come straight from the Camry. It revs higher than I would think is necessary for that displacement of engine in a small car. If I remember correctly, it's approaching 3000RPM at about 65MPH. It's not intrusive, but noticeable. It's also quite noticeable at idle compared to the 1.8. We both drove a 1.8 equipped with 5 speed manual, and weren't impressed. It seemed at home in town, but lacked necessary power for merging. The shifter and clutch also feel entirely different with the 2.4. I found that the 1.8 idled so slowly, and was so quiet, that I actually stalled it a few times when starting out. With the 2.4, I think you would actually have to TRY to accomplish that. I think that even first gear is lower with the 2.4 than the 1.8, which adds to its responsive feel. Fifth can actually be used around 30MPH without any complaints from the engine.

Don't get me wrong - it's not a real screamer of any kind, but my brother feels that it definitely performs better than his Ecotec 2.2 did in his previous 2002 Sunfire GT with 5 speed. Personally I think the motors don't perform that differently - but it's the gearing that makes it feel different.

I have yet to drive an automatic version of either 1.8 or 2.4, so I can't directly relate to others comments here. If they made a forced induction version of the 2.4 available, and maybe add another cog to the transmission (manual), it would add to the fun factor a bit in my opinion. I don't think they left enough room in there for much of a V6 - but I'm sure somebody somewhere will shoehorn one in there eventually.

At least it feels like a fairly well put together car. Time will tell. So far I haven't heard any complaints.
John

test drove 2009 manual VIBE and found the clutch very easy . They're using synthetic gear oil from the assembly line , I believe it's GL-5 . You may see the VIBE come to an end with the PONTIAC line being dropped . BUICK , CHEVY VIBE doesn't have that vibe ( ring ) to it like PONTIAC VIBE does . Such a shame :- ( . One of the best vehicles in the GM lineup , thanks to TOYOTA ;- ) . We had an 2003 automatic MATRIX for over 50,000+ miles and never had an issue . The overall mileage was 33 m.p.g. .

Last edited:
If pontiac is dumped, look for a Chevy Vibe to come along.

Look at what happened to the Geo Prizm -> Chevy Prizm

Nice writeup Critic. I always get the biggest/most powerful engine in all my vehicles just for the reasons you mentioned. The trade off in a few more MPG's isn't justified for me to have less power and fun. But, that's just me and I know most people on this board would disagree with me.

If it was dry pavement the tread of the tires doesn't matter as much as the rubber compound and of course suspension geometry. Still impressive that the rear wanted to come around, usually one gets heavy FWD plowing on that sort of car.

Rented a vibe 1.8 automatic when I was in SF, I signed up for an aveo or similarly horrible rental then they double-bumped me up to the vibe for no additional charge. It was always hunting the gears, adding torque convertor lockings and unlockings to the variable RPM mix. At least it was ~10 dB (estimated) quieter than my saturns.

BTW, impressed as a college age youngun you could get a zipcar. I was openly lied to by rent-a-wreck when I was that age.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
BTW, impressed as a college age youngun you could get a zipcar. I was openly lied to by rent-a-wreck when I was that age.

Zipcar has a special partnership with many university campuses to allow the 18+ demographic to rent from them.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
If pontiac is dumped, look for a Chevy Vibe to come along.

Look at what happened to the Geo Prizm -> Chevy Prizm

Nope, the Vibe is a goner pretty soon anyways.

GM will be ending that joint venture with toyota soon.....

it will also be a cost saving move....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back