2009 RAV4 transfer case and diff fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our RAV4 4WD is approaching 60K at which time I want to drain and fill 3-4 quarts of tranny fluid with Toyota WS, and also drain and fill the transfer case and differential. Both of those call for GL-5 80W-90, but I was looking for a good synthetic to extend the drain interval for about 100K. Amsoil lists these recommendations:

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/ProductRecommendations.aspx?FromIndex=1&url2=2009+TOYOTA+RAV4+B

They recommend synthetic 80W-90 gear lube for the differential, but 75W-90 long life synthetic oil for the transfer case. Both list 100K drain intervals. The manual calls for 80W-90 for both...so why can't I use the 80W-90 synthetic gear lube in the transfer case per Amsoil? Is there something in that product that can't be used in transfer cases?

not sure why..

I do know that most 75w90 are syn or syn blend while
conventional is 80w90

Last edited:
I can't speak for the Highlander, but my Tacoma calls for 80w90 in the rear diff. I used Mobil 1 75w90 and have noticed no difference. Most people recommended going with a 75w90 at that time.

My sister has a 2008 RAV, so I'm interested in this topic as well.

My off-the-cuff opinion is that 80W-90 is what Toyota calls for because it is *sufficient* to do the job. I can't see how upgrading to 75W-90 or going synthetic could be of any consequence.

I agree that 80W90 is sufficient for your RAV!
I have not seen any(not that it doesn't exist) 80W90 Synthetic Gear Oil, only 75W90 or of course, 75W110/140

I am currently using in my wifes Lexus RX-300 Diff & TC, Mobil 1 75W90 and I like it. Also using the M1 in the pumpkin of my '80 Firebird FORMULA and like it there too!

I called Amsoil. The rep didn't know why their synthetic gear oil in 80W-90 was not recommended for the transfer case, even though on paper a GL-5 80W-90 should be fine for both. She claimed that all Amsoil products are tested for compatibility, and that the 75W-90 Sever Gear is the best option for both. At warm temps they are all 90 weight anyway. So I am going to go with the 75W-90 synthetic for both.

Originally Posted By: JMHC
Our RAV4 4WD is approaching 60K at which time I want to drain and fill 3-4 quarts of tranny fluid with Toyota WS, and also drain and fill the transfer case and differential. Both of those call for GL-5 80W-90, but I was looking for a good synthetic to extend the drain interval for about 100K. Amsoil lists these recommendations:

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/ProductRecommendations.aspx?FromIndex=1&url2=2009+TOYOTA+RAV4+B

They recommend synthetic 80W-90 gear lube for the differential, but 75W-90 long life synthetic oil for the transfer case. Both list 100K drain intervals. The manual calls for 80W-90 for both...so why can't I use the 80W-90 synthetic gear lube in the transfer case per Amsoil? Is there something in that product that can't be used in transfer cases?

I think the 75W-90 will be best. The lower temp flow properties are a better fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back