2009 MazdaSpeed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, New member here.

I am taking delivery of a new 2009 MazdaSpeed 3 this week (2.3L DISI Turbo).

i live in area of Albany NY.

the car comes with and is specified with non synthetic 5-20. 5-30w is allowed. the manual is funny in that it says the chief benefit of 5-20 is better mpg (energy conserving). i am a big beliver in 5-30.

i come from BMW cars and bikes, where i used sythetic in all. i am a believer in sythetic, especially with respect to more protection in cold starts in upstate NY as i understand the oil tends to flow better under colder temps- we have had many days below zero F this year.

that said, this is my first turbo, and i have read about some concerns with synthetic in this turbo car allegedly causing smoking and voiding warranties.

i am looking for advice/expertise on two items. when should i do my first oil change (5,000mi per book), or sooner, and what should i use.

i plan on submitting engine oil for testing.

i don't have a problem with short change intervals with dino oil

i do my own oil changes, and use mazda supplied filters.

thanks in advance.

double check...I have a regular 3 which specs 20, but I am pretty sure that the Speed specs a 30. I would use Amsoil, PP, or M1 5w30. These are big fuel dumpers, so I would go no more than 4k...UOA and move accordingly.

Originally Posted By: nyzman
Hi All, New member here.

the car comes with and is specified with non synthetic 5-20. 5-30w is allowed. the manual is funny in that it says the chief benefit of 5-20 is better mpg (energy conserving). i am a big beliver in 5-30.

I've got an 08 Mazda CX7 with the 2.3 L direct injected turbo as well. Mine specs 5-30.

I imagine if its summer time and I plan on running it hard I'll throw some 10-30 in it as well.

Hi All, New member here.

i live in area of Albany NY.

i come from BMW cars and bikes, where i used sythetic in all. i am a believer in sythetic, especially with respect to more protection in cold starts in upstate NY as i understand the oil tends to flow better under colder temps- we have had many days below zero F this year.

that said, this is my first turbo, and i have read about some concerns with synthetic in this turbo car allegedly causing smoking and voiding warranties.

i am looking for advice/expertise on two items. when should i do my first oil change (5,000mi per book), or sooner, and what should i use.

i plan on submitting engine oil for testing.

i don't have a problem with short change intervals with dino oil

i do my own oil changes, and use mazda supplied filters.

thanks in advance.

Most MS6s with the same engine that have seen 20wt see beyond significant wear. So far the best UOA is my Castrol GC, 0w30 only available at Autozone. Must be made in Germany. OCI's are about 4K. Your engine WILL NOT come with 5w20, rather a 5w30 mineral most likely provided by Valvoline from what we've seen. PP works, but only at 3K OCIs.

I have yet to see any reports of synthetic oil causing problems with turbo seals. Usually the smoking occurs after the owner installs an aftermarket downpipe.

The engine specs 5W-30. I've run Mobil 1, Quaker State Advanced and currently have Pennzoil Platinum in there. Fuel dilution is a common occurrence in these engines.

I have heard reports of dealers stating that synthetic is bad, but I have yet to see anything official from Mazda in regards to it.

The Mazda direct injection engines come from the factory with a Synthetic blend oil. My CX7 (same basic direct injection engine) requires a 5w30 oil and NOT a 5w20 oil. Check your manual. I run 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum but, would not hesitate to use a 5w30 Mobil 1 oil. Do not change out the factory oil earler than ~ 2,500 miles as the factory oil is loaded with antiscuff ingreadiants to promote safe breakin.

Thanks for the input.

Sorry - your right - the manual says 5W-30 for the turbo engine

Based on the advice above, i will plan a change at around 3500 miles (aka spring time), and replace with 5W30 Penzoil Platinum -does that sound reasonable?

i remember that my 2004 civic came with "break in" oil that said not to change it for 10,000 miles.

i am curious to see if the Speed 3 Manual says anything about break in oil.

if it comes with syn blend, then i would like to use castrol.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Like I said...I am almost POSITIVE the turbo engine specs 5w30.

Amsoil, RLI, PP, M1...do a UOA! :)

I'm positive of it also, and I'd use a synthetic 0/5W-30 as well without fretting too much over a brand...

Thanks for the input.

Sorry - your right - the manual says 5W-30 for the turbo engine

Based on the advice above, i will plan a change at around 3500 miles (aka spring time), and replace with 5W30 Penzoil Platinum -does that sound reasonable?

i remember that my 2004 civic came with "break in" oil that said not to change it for 10,000 miles.

i am curious to see if the Speed 3 Manual says anything about break in oil.

if it comes with syn blend, then i would like to use castrol.

I've never heard that, and they shouldn't. The Mazda6 3.5L 6-cyl. manual says you can use an oil such as a 5W-40 if 5W-20 isn't available, which I think you'd have a hard time finding as anything other than a synthetic...

The plan to change at 3,500 to PP 5w30 is good. Ed Keep checking oil lever frequently during the first 1,000 miles or as new engine can use some oil and follow the owners manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scott P
I have yet to see any reports of synthetic oil causing problems with turbo seals. Usually the smoking occurs after the owner installs an aftermarket downpipe.

The engine specs 5W-30. I've run Mobil 1, Quaker State Advanced and currently have Pennzoil Platinum in there. Fuel dilution is a common occurrence in these engines.

I have heard reports of dealers stating that synthetic is bad, but I have yet to see anything official from Mazda in regards to it.

Typically when I hear "Synthetic is bad for Mazda cars" the discussion involves the ones with rotary engines.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I vote 5w30 Pennzoil Platnium

Absolutely. These engines tend to be susceptible to fuel dilution. PP has been a good choice to counteract this in the Speed3.

Even stating the above, I would change the oil every 3k-4k miles.

The UOAs I've seen show no significant fuel dilution problem on moderate OCIs of around 5000 miles...if the car is heated up thoroughly once in a while, I see no problem with a moderate OCI of around 5K or 6K

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back