2009 Ford Fusion Coolant cap issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mom's Fusion has been losing coolant for awhile now. Not at a huge rate, but a "new" car losing any coolant is not normal. One of the first things I tried was to switch the cap between her car and mine as they are the same. That did nothing as my car still does not lose coolant and hers still does.
Well, today I took it out to fill it for her. When I got back home I popped the hood to do my underhood checks before she leaves for Spokane tomorrow night. I could hear the coolant cap bubbling as soon as I did so. I play with the cap and find I can reduce or increase the rate of pressure loss by twisting it.
So I take it completely off and look at the cap. It appears fine and since this is cap #2 that is leaking I doubt it is bad anyway. So I take a close look at the tank where it is supposed to seal and BINGO! The sealing surface is flat from the outside edge until the outer perimeter of the internal opening. At that point, there is a small half-round bump approximately 1mm high by 1mm wide. There is a portion that is dented to the point it is even with the flat portion. I believe this is the fault. Any good ideas to get it to seal? I was thinking either A. Take the whole half round off by sanding it or B. Putting a dab of RTV at that point. I would just have to replace the RTV every time it is removed. Which, once it is sealed should be but once every few years.
What do you guys think?

Switch reserviors with her since she is going on a trip. It may have to be replaced. Good thing it is not DexCool getting air.

Completely different shape. Mine will not fit where hers is. I overfilled it for now to stave off it running low.

Last edited:
Ace hardware{or comparable in your area) has the biggest selection of o-rings,gaskets for flanges ,roung rubber seals,etc.,that I know of and quickly attainable.Even if its not under warranty ,I wouldnt be trimming/shaping on that.Rvt is an option if its not under warranty.That 1MM hump is what you'd have to duplicate with the o-ring.It should be alittle larger enough to fit around the hump.
edit: quick fix 'till she gets back.

Last edited:
If it's just a "bump" - as in it's standing taller than the rest of the sealing surface, simply file it off. If not, see if you/she can get it replaced under warranty.

Pretty sure this car has a 3 yr B2B warranty.

Do not tamper with it until the dealer addresses it.

If you alter the tank or cap in any way they may deny your warranty claim.

maybe try wrapping the lower threads w/teflon tape? It's not permanent, might work, and you could get it taken care of permanently under warranty at your convenience.

Originally Posted By: urchin
Pretty sure this car has a 3 yr B2B warranty.

Do not tamper with it until the dealer addresses it.

If you alter the tank or cap in any way they may deny your warranty claim.

That is the thing, it probably already is altered or at least that is what they will say, Im sure. Which, for all I know, could be true.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
[.That is the thing, it probably already is altered or at least that is what they will say, Im sure. Which, for all I know, could be true.

I'm not understanding...What you are describing to me seems to be a maunfacturing defect, correct. This bump on the rim of the coolant reserve tank?

I really would not try and fix this yourself. Let the dealer deal with it.

Why not let your mother take another car?

Kinda trying to figure out where this part is. They started at about 8:30 this morning and I just called. The car is still in pieces. Must be DEEP.

"Customer states keeps loosing coolant. Check and advise verified concern. No TSBs or SSMs. Pressure tested cooling system-leaking from cross-over tube rear of engine. Replaced leaking coolant tube assm. Bled cooling system and topped off coolant. Retest OK."
Part# replaced was 3F1Z-8548-AC.
Was all done under factory warranty which expires tomorrow. LOL.
Also had them cut and program a second key; we only got one with the vehicle. $212.76 OTD.

Not a bad price on that IKT. I know we charge somewhere around $165 for the key plus $115 (one hour) labor to program. And ya if you only have one key the cycling the lock cylinder trick does not work.

BTW not to bring up this argument, but numerous times those ebay keys won't program.

O and that hose is a monstrosity if it is the one I am thinking of.

There are numerous actual dealers that run parts houses on the interweb; I would probably buy one from them if I was going to do it that way.
Yeah, it was $120 for the IKT, $76 labor, and $5 I think for shop fees.
Oh, and the piece that was replaced was the plastic crossover on the back of the cylinder heads. Back being the literal back of the engine; so left side of the car right above the transmission and next to the water pump.
I went and looked for something shiny and there it was. I kinda figured it was something like that from the description.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back