2008 si want to change to synthetic--brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Mark, I believe that spec is only for the Acura.

Thanks Johnny.

One I thing I noted about the Civic Si is that their 2.0 L engine generates almost as much horsepower (197 hp) as the Acura TSX 2.4 L (201 hp), so I would not dissuade anyone from using a synthetic in the Si.

The Honda Accord EX 2.4 L only generates 190 hp, and LX 2.4 L engine generates only 177 hp.

addguy,
Yes,I'm mistaken,I believe--it is 5w-30.I had Honda do the first change as it was about 10 degrees out at the time and I had had enough of the cold(slacker that I am I had the dealer do the first change,but my garage is now empty and I'm taking over again)Of course I will RTFM when I get home and make sure.Just want to do thye right thing by this hi reving little engine
Thanks again

According to this, it's supposed to be 5W-20 for the Si from 02 forward. This guy mentions "tight tolerances" and that you'll "starve your engine" if you run 5W-30...
21.gif

================================================================

http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/08/09/...da-automobiles/

================================================================
From the article...

Honda Civic Si 5w30 (’99 & ‘00) 5w20 (’02 thru present)

Honda Civic (all others) 5w30 (’92 thru ‘95) 5w20 (’96 thru present)

Well, there have been a few UOA's on Civic Si's on here ('JoefromPA' comes to mind), and they specifically said the Si recs. 5W-30 weight oil...

Go with whatever the oil cap on the engine says - If you have a problem, you can just point to it and say, "it says to use XW-XX right here".

Problem solved.

FWIW, three out of the four engines listed for 2008 Civics on the Amsoil lookup chart say to use 5W-20 or 0W-20. The fourth one ( the largest one ) says to use 5W-30.

Is the Si the one with the 2.0 engine?

addguy....joefrompa uses amsoil 0w-30 I do believe...the si can run on 5w-20 as states in manual.once again,thanks for all the input1

addguy,
cap says 5w-20..at least the cap on the guys motor who works across the steert at the pep boys--I asked him to pop the hood real quick for me,he couldn't remember either(made me feel a bit less like a block head )

There are several Si cars from different years, the most recent are the 2/4 door new body civics with 2.0l 197 hp, then i believe the 02-05 Si witch looks like a hatchback with 2.0l 160 hp and also the 99-00 civic coupe with 1.6l 160hp motor.

It's an Si, with decent specific output. Let him use what he wants, but I think dino is best too.

This thread is all over the place. It takes 5w-30. 10w-30 in summer is fine. If you change your own oil and like doing it, I'd say use dino on a time-based schedule, like every 3,4 or 6 months.

If you want to use the olm, try a good synth for a margin of safety. PP is a shure bet, but shop for sales, like the Q Torque Power at WalMart for $11/5q. SynPower usually has some good rebates and stuff. Worth the effort to stock a few changes worth.

All oils are basicly good.The Honda is not tough to lube.

5w30 Pennzoil Platinum is my vote.

I use Amsoil ASL 5w30 in the Prelude with no ill effect and PP in the RDX which loves it!

I'm thinking of switching the prelude over to PP as well, too much of a pain getting Amsoil where I live, and having a 4.4 or 4.7L can to dump the old oil in to rather then the 946ml can the amsoil comes in :p.

Btw watch out I heard the K20's are oil burners like the h22 in the lude.

Last edited:
With synths,I like RP. It can be bought at most any auto parts chain,including Walmart and its a group IV/V synth. Plus my car really performs well on it. If you decide to use a dino,I`d recommend Valvoline white bottle (which has been my oil mainstay as long as I`ve been a car owner). I just read a UOA where a Honda had an impeccable UOA with Valvoline wb.

I've had an excellent UOA with Valvoline in my Honda motor as well. Granted, it was only a 2,000 mile ARX rinse phase, but the wear was virtually nil.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I've had an excellent UOA with Valvoline in my Honda motor as well. Granted, it was only a 2,000 mile ARX rinse phase, but the wear was virtually nil.

You are trying to measure Fe in the Rx rinse phase, and then correlate that to engine wear? Not sure if that would work.

If it really does take 5W-20, the three oils I recommend are Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, and Quaker State Horse Power.

Even if it takes 5W-30, those are still my recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back