2008 Nissan Titan?

DR1

Hello, Today I had some errands to run and my truck was driving perfectly. I went to 3 different places and then my last stop I dropped by my local mechanic shop to ask him how much he would charge me to install 8 new spark plugs. I have the 8 plugs so he would be charging me labor only. So when I walked out of his office I got in my truck and the truck wouldn't start. It would turn over with no problem but just wasn't starting.

He hooked up his device to see what it might be causing the problem and it give some info but I don't remember what his said. Lastly he took a can of carb. spray and sprayed it in the tubing that leads to the throttle body and he ask me to try starting it. That baby fired right up! He then said shut it off and wait 10 seconds and try starting it again. Again it started right up. He said he could get me in this coming Thursday Dec 2 and he would have to dig into things to try figuring out what the problem is. I can tell you when driving back home after leaving his shop my Service engine soon light is on.

Sorry for such a long intro but can I get as much feedback as possible regarding this. Thanks a Million!

Go by an auto parts store and have them pull the engine code. No wild guesses involved!

codes are good for sure, but i would join a titan specific forum as the many owners might be able to help + save a buck $$$ or just assure your mechanic is on the fair side. small town independents tend to be honest but there are hustlers everywhere!!

Hello, Today I had some errands to run and my truck was driving perfectly. I went to 3 different places and then my last stop I dropped by my local mechanic shop to ask him how much he would charge me to install 8 new spark plugs. I have the 8 plugs so he would be charging me labor only. So when I walked out of his office I got in my truck and the truck wouldn't start. It would turn over with no problem but just wasn't starting.

He hooked up his device to see what it might be causing the problem and it give some info but I don't remember what his said. Lastly he took a can of carb. spray and sprayed it in the tubing that leads to the throttle body and he ask me to try starting it. That baby fired right up! He then said shut it off and wait 10 seconds and try starting it again. Again it started right up. He said he could get me in this coming Thursday Dec 2 and he would have to dig into things to try figuring out what the problem is. I can tell you when driving back home after leaving his shop my Service engine soon light is on.

Sorry for such a long intro but can I get as much feedback as possible regarding this. Thanks a Million!
Many Nissan/Infiniti of that era had ECU issues. Symptoms are intermittent random no starts, similar to what you describe.
Some also had issues where HVAC modules would draw too much power on startup and that would fool ECU into causing long cranking before start up, or a crank no start condition. But this one is more consistent and is usually only an issue if the car sat for 6+ hours. (Our 2008 Infiniti M35 did that. Bad HVAC control module. Brand new battery masked the issue for couple weeks, but then it was back. FX35/FX45 suffered from this issue the worst. Only solution is a brand new $500-$1500 part from dealer.)

Last edited:
Here are the codes. I got them today. 1) P0340 Cam position sensor Bank 1 code#2 - P0333 Knock Sensor Bank 2
Thoughts?

Here are the codes. I got them today. 1) P0340 Cam position sensor Bank 1 code#2 - P0333 Knock Sensor Bank 2
Thoughts?
Don't know about VK56 engine, but many of VQ35 engines of that era from Nissan had tons of crankshaft and camshaft sensor errors. Rule of thumb is - if you get a code for 1, then replace all 3 (2 camshaft sensors, and 1 crankshaft sensor). Had that on the Infiniti M35, and know a G35/350Z enthusiast who had the same issue on every single of his 6 cars with VQ35 engines. Being the same era sensors, they could even be the same sensors between V6 and V8. Change all 3 (easy) crank/cam sensors, clear the codes, and see which ones come back. At least that'd be my course of action.

P.S. Be careful plugging the sensors back in. Pins in the plug bend super easy. Had one bend, but easily straightened out with needle nose pliers.

My truck ha
Don't know about VK56 engine, but many of VQ35 engines of that era from Nissan had tons of crankshaft and camshaft sensor errors. Rule of thumb is - if you get a code for 1, then replace all 3 (2 camshaft sensors, and 1 crankshaft sensor). Had that on the Infiniti M35, and know a G35/350Z enthusiast who had the same issue on every single of his 6 cars with VQ35 engines. Being the same era sensors, they could even be the same sensors between V6 and V8. Change all 3 (easy) crank/cam sensors, clear the codes, and see which ones come back. At least that'd be my course of action.

P.S. Be careful plugging the sensors back in. Pins in the plug bend super easy. Had one bend, but easily straightened out with

P.S. Be careful plugging the sensors back in. Pins in the plug bend super easy. Had one bend, but easily straightened out with needle nose pliers.
My truck has only 1 camshaft sensor.

My truck ha
Even easier then. On VQ engines there's one per each cylinder head, and that's the only one I got first hand experience with. A common failure is when owners get a code for bad Camshaft sensor, they replace it, and code is still there. Then they replace the other one, but code is still there again. Then they finally replace the crankshaft sensor and codes go away. Saw this on a Maxima, G35, M35, and 350z.
Anyways, if it's cheap and easy to replace - might as well knock it out. If it's expensive, then there must be some guides for testing it with a multimeter, to verify that it is indeed bad. Titan forums may provide better answers.

21014 Armada here, bought it new. The ONLY issue we have had from it has been a faulty ECU. It gave NO indication it was about to go. Wife took the kids to the dentist, went to start it and it would spin over but no fire. Cooling fan was running all the time. 800 bucks later for a new ECU, key programming etc and all is good again.

Changing plugs is really easy on these motors.

Back