2008 mazda 5 transmission fluid change.

Old thread but I just helped a friend buy a car this past weekend and it was a 2008 Mazda 5 with 120K miles. Mechanically and suspension wise the car is very good. Paint matching on bumpers and driver's door isn't so great, but the used market is so bad that we couldn't be choosy.

Anyways, going to go through it and looking up what to do to change the transmission filter and fluid, though I am worried a bit on doing it with a trans with 120K miles on it. It's shifting fine, fluid smells like it should, but the color isn't bright red anymore - definitely tinted brown. Will be getting Idemitsu M fluid as that is the least expensive, single application fluid.

This is a FNR5 4 speed transmission
We used Castrol TransMAX Import MultiVehicle ATF in the 4 speed auto(FN4A-EL) in our 2006 Mazda 3 with GREAT SUCCESS from 2009-18(then sold car). I believe that I performed ~5 drain & refills over that 9 years of ownership and 160K miles.

I used the Castrol Import ATF and ours has 132k and can't tell it isn't new. Has a drain plug and I pulled the pan the first time. Replaced the filter at 85K and is was clean. Now I just drain and fill. Great reliable and versatile cars.

Old thread but I just helped a friend buy a car this past weekend and it was a 2008 Mazda 5 with 120K miles. Mechanically and suspension wise the car is very good. Paint matching on bumpers and driver's door isn't so great, but the used market is so bad that we couldn't be choosy.

Anyways, going to go through it and looking up what to do to change the transmission filter and fluid, though I am worried a bit on doing it with a trans with 120K miles on it. It's shifting fine, fluid smells like it should, but the color isn't bright red anymore - definitely tinted brown. Will be getting Idemitsu M fluid as that is the least expensive, single application fluid.

I used the redline D4 ATF and it noticed an immediate difference. I would definitely recommend using the redline. I also used a wix filter replacement. I did mine at pretty much the same mileage as well.

But Mazda programmed their transmissions differently 😱
You know...slower and dumber?

Ok joke aside Ford backspecd Mercon V, something like that.

I'm using the Mazda M5 original fluid in mine, cause it was the cheapest I could find (thanks Canada), but when my stash is empty I may try Redline D4.

I've used Valvoline Import Vehicle, Maxlife, and Castrol Transmax Import ATFs in my Mazda3 with their 5 speed automatic. I like how the Castrol shifts the best out of all of them.

I think Ford does not care if their Mercon V is the right fluid for the fnr5 or not all the trannies are out of warranty by now and its to their advantage if the servo bore holes are too wide/worn and the new thinner oils will make the 3-4 gear shock even worse.

The thicker older dino based oils like the transmax are better for that condition.

Back