2008 Kia Sedona airbag light - cannot solve

My 2008 Sedona has an airbag light that won’t go out. A little background: A couple times in the past, if something got shoved into the back of the front passenger seat, like a box, tools, etc., the airbag light would stay on for a brief time then go out. I’m thinking maybe the harness got rattled or something, as there is a wire loom for the seat that is covered by a thin piece of fabric on the bottom back of that seat. No big deal. This time something similar happened, but now the light won’t go out. Been like this for a week, and I’ve driven the vehicle quite a bit, lots of drive cycles, etc. The airbag light is solid, no flashing pattern or anything that would indicate a specific problem. Kias of this vintage have a common failure of the passenger seat occupant sensor, but I know mine works because if someone sits in it and buckles the seatbelt, the “passenger airbag off” light on the dash extinguishes. So I know that works. Ideas? The van is likely reaching EOL at nearly 190K miles and I’m guessing any airbag repairs are pricey. I have physically checked all visible connections and wiring, all looks good.

It might know someone's there to nag you via the light but not know their weight or seat position for the 2nd gen airbag.

Seems like it's time to scan for codes.

The airbag light coming out doesn't necessarily mean it's the airbag. As someone stated -scan for codes.

Kias of this vintage have a common failure of the passenger seat occupant sensor, but I know mine works because if someone sits in it and buckles the seatbelt, the “passenger airbag off” light on the dash extinguishes. So I know that works.
Passenger airbag off light is different from the air bag light. You won't know how to fix it without knowing whats wrong with it. And you won't know whats wrong with it until you check what codes are tripping the light. Could be just a $5 seat belt buckle from the junk yard.

Reactions: CKN
Back