2008 Honda CR-V at 100k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_6065.JPG

^^^ The day we brought it home.

We bought this CR-V in July of 2011, with 46k miles on it. It has just recently crossed 100k miles, so I thought I'd make a few comments about the vehicle and how it has held up. In short, this is probably the single best vehicle I've owned. That includes the Acura we now have, a few minivans, two Cadillacs, two Toyotas, a Nissan truck, and even my first car, my beloved '84 Cutlass. The CR-V represents what is apparently the *perfect* balance for me of: size, efficiency, handling, and utility. The balance of these things just doesn't get any better for me. Sure, some cars handle better and some ride better, but this CR-V strikes this perfect middle ground that just leaves me with complete satisfaction every time I drive it.

IMG_20150409_163557673.jpg

The steering is light, yet extremely communicative (magazines at the time described it as "telepathic"). The ride is firm, but body motions are well controlled. The body structure is just TIGHT -- there are no real squeaks or rattles to this car. It's not subjected to the ever-rising belt line/window sill heights that many cars have these days...it's completely comfortable for 14 hour days (I've done that before in it).

Fuel economy has been consistent over time. My commute is generously probably 50% city/50% highway. I average about 25 mpg with it, which is near its official 26 mpg highway estimate. 100% interstate cruising @ 70-75 mph results in about 27-28 mpg. Lowest I've seen in the dead of winter is about 22 (20 is the official city rating).

This is an EX-L model. At the time, the only way to get a power seat was the leather-clad EX-L. I will say, however, that I appreciate other features exclusive to the EX-L, such as the very nice-sounding stereo w/ subwoofer. XM stays on channel 57, Y2kountry. EX-Ls also came with body-color heated side mirrors and a few other things that I can't remember at the moment.

How is the car wearing?

Paint: excellent. I keep it washed and waxed periodically. I clean it more than the average person, but I wouldn't describe myself as excessive. When I bought it, it had a Honda sunroof visor accessory installed, and there's a paint rub line under that where it contacted the body. That line might buff out in the hands of a professional, but you really can't see it just looking at the car, so I don't pay it any mind.

IMG_20150422_064733711_HDR.jpg

Bodywork: no issues. All of the plastic-chrome pieces shine like the day it left the factory floor. All body hardware is tight. The headlamps are still mostly clear, which is impressive to me with the sandblasting they get around here and all the UV from our southern exposure. I don't know if this falls under "bodywork", but I did switch the single, and very cheesy-sounding, horn with a dual horn setup from an Accord. So it no longer has a "beep", but a real honk.

IMG_20150422_064747462_HDR.jpg

Undercarriage: being a southern vehicle (it's lived in NC its whole life) means there's no rust anywhere. It's had some suspension components changed, some unnecessarily, which I'll describe in a subsequent post on the service/maintenance history.

Engine bay: looks like new. I've long been impressed with the material quality of Honda's components here. Most of the hoses are silicone, and there's no rot on any rubber/silicone anywhere. I do remove any engine modesty covers -- I like to see the engine. Look on that cylinder head cover: Honda has embossed-and-machined its name into the top surface. C'mon, who does that anymore?

IMG_20150422_064832204_HDR.jpg

Interior: excellent, though the front leather seats do show some wear. I will post a picture of that in a subsequent post. Everything else shows zero wear. The plastics look high quality and colors complement each other very well. I did add Honda accessory rubber floor mats and cargo mat, and those are excellent (and may have saved some carpet wear/staining over time). From when we bought it:

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

As I noted above, I will post the entire service/maintenance history a little bit later. I bought the car Certified Pre-Owned from the original selling dealer (Sanford Honda in Sanford, NC), so I have the full record set on it. In short, it really hasn't had any repairs over its first 100k miles. The folks in Ohio put together a pretty good car, and I cheerfully look forward to the next 100k miles.

Edit: Ha! Post #12345

Last edited:
Excellent write up. I feel the same way about my 2005. 217k and 10 years later, everything is original minus the normal brake pads/fluids/filters.

Greatest car I've ever owned and hope to keep it around as long as I can.

I feel the same about the Honda in my sig, purchased new and plan on keeping it so I can drive it to my own funeral.

The wagon was not popular then but now with the SUV style craze many of these vehicles are really "station wagons". You've got a nice ride and on top of that, let someone else absorb the new car depreciation.

Looks very good! I like that colour combination too, pretty much the same as my wagon, but Honda was smart enough to do the top of the dash in black, mine is beige.
My parents O6 CRV is near 150k miles now and has been quite reliable, with just fluids and brakes. They sort of think about trading it in, but I think its got many more reliable miles in it as well.
I kind of wish we could get away with a CR-V as our main family hauler going forward, but more towing capacity seems to translate into less fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I always liked this CR-V shape. The new style is ugly.

I must admit: if I were in the market for a new car today, it'd likely be a 2015 CR-V in Mountain Air Metallic. I love the color combination and I think Honda's really refined the current CR-V's shape with new headlamps and some very classy-looking brightwork treatment on the lift gate.

Solid cars. In-laws have a 2004 with 150k or so on it and no issues other than just like every other CRV it is not comfortable for road trips. Definitely a solid, middle of the pack CUV. Drive it until it dies.

Great review. Thanks.
My wife drives a 2014 CRV EX and we both love it for all the reasons you state.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I always liked this CR-V shape. The new style is ugly.

I must admit: if I were in the market for a new car today, it'd likely be a 2015 CR-V in Mountain Air Metallic. I love the color combination and I think Honda's really refined the current CR-V's shape with new headlamps and some very classy-looking brightwork treatment on the lift gate.

I guess because I don't own them, but to me, there's very little difference between your 2008 and a 2015 as far as appearance goes; they both look the same compared to an older 1st or 2nd generation one.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I guess because I don't own them, but to me, there's very little difference between your 2008 and a 2015 as far as appearance goes; they both look the same compared to an older 1st or 2nd generation one.

There was certainly a dramatic difference between the second generation (through 2006) and the third generation (from 2007). The styling has certainly been changed for the fourth generation (from 2012), but you're right -- it's not a dramatic departure from the third generation.

CONGRATULATIONS on reaching a milestone.

Your CRV is very clean. By the pictures, you can't tell if it has 100 miles or 100K miles.

Your story gives me motivation to keep my 2003 CRV going. I now have 175,000 miles and am looking forward to many more happy miles.

Looks great and has aged well. A lot of people would look at it and think "new car."

One of my friends has I think a 2010 or 2011 and likes it a lot. He had a Jeep Liberty and Grand Cherokee before that, so it was a significantly different vehicle for him, but for his needs it works better and is definitely more efficient.

I like valve covers with some sort of design work/insignia too. Ford embossed "3.0L V6" on my truck's aluminum valve covers...kind of a nice touch. They also embossed the Ford logo on the polished fuel rail covers. Of course though, in true Ford fashion, they topped that off with miles of wiring harness and hoses that you have to look through to see the detailing.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Your CRV is very clean. By the pictures, you can't tell if it has 100 miles or 100K miles.

Thanks. It really, truly, drives like it has 100 miles on it, too.

Okay, the maintenance/repair records I promised earlier. With 100k miles, there are too many fluid changes to report, so I'll stick to hard part changes, along with any notes to go along with them.

Original owner
10/22/08, 12,097 miles: Check engine light. The customer was billed $276.26, so it must have been something they did and not covered by the warranty.

Our ownership
08/06/11, 48,600 miles: New battery
10/16/11, 50,130 miles: Front disc brake hardware kit(1)
02/03/12, 53,970 miles: New Michelin Latitude Tours
03/15/12, 56,317 miles: New Dayco Poly-W serp belt
07/06/12, 60,939 miles: Installed new style armrests(2)
08/11/12, 63,560 miles: New front exhaust gasket(3)
08/25/12, 64,730 miles: New Honda Accord horns
06/28/14, 89,973 miles: New Moog rear springs/UCAs/stab bar links(4)
01/10/15, 96,531 miles: New Firestone Destination LE2s

Footnotes:

(1) Shortly after we bought it, I noticed the front end clunking over bumps. I carried it back to the dealer and they replaced the front stabilizer bar links. No dice. I carried it back and they replaced the front struts. Still no dice. To be fair, it did it under only certain conditions, but still... I did notice that if I crowded the brake pedal over those certain bumps, it'd stay silent. So I put a new hardware kit on the front and all is silent.

(2) The 2010-2011 CR-Vs came with much wider front armrests than the 2007-2009 models did. This was an easy swap, and significantly improves comfort. The new armrests were about 50 bucks each, and it was $100 well spent.

(3) The front exhaust gasket is a sticking point (no pun intended!) with these. There's a TSB with specific instructions on how to repair it. I've done this job a few times, actually. The symptom is the exhaust will "creak" when you rock the car fore and aft with the engine off and in Park. The gasket (a donut type gasket) sticks to the receiving ball joint and will make the noise when the joint flexes. I've frankly given up on this and just leave it alone anymore. I really only hear the noise when doing something like loosening or tightening lug nuts, and the car rocks back and forth. No big deal in the long run.

(4) It's not uncommon for the factory rear springs to sag over time on this generation CR-V. This isn't the first vehicle I've owned like that (GM G-bodies were notorious for that, too), so rear spring replacement isn't a big deal to me. I wanted to restore the ride height and correct the rear camber at the same time. New Moog springs were $35 for the set, and new upper control arms were $65 each, so I tried the springs first. The springs actually did restore the ride height, but I still wanted more camber adjustment, so I ended up doing the arms about a month later. Along with the arms, I replaced the rear stabilizer bar end links, just as one of those "mightaswells".

So in the first 100k miles, the only real repair was the front exhaust gasket and the brake hardware to fix shifty brake pads. The serpentine belt was replaced because I got a deal on the Dayco belt; it really didn't need replacing. The rear suspension hardware didn't need to be replaced, either, but I just wanted to do it. You might could say that the battery went out a little early (3 years and 50k miles), but batteries sometimes do that. The Michelin Latitude Tours lasted almost 43,000 miles. They had about 4/32" of tread when I replaced them, so I could have pushed them to 50,000, which would have been respectable. I usually replace tires earlier than I really need to.

The way our Acura drove is what turned me on to Honda products initially. And, although I didn't buy our CR-V for reliability reasons, Honda's small SUV has proven to be an excellent and trouble-free vehicle for us. Honda marketed CR-Vs to young outdoorsey type folks, but it's demonstrated itself to be a perfect commuting companion for me, offering an efficient powertrain, don't-think-about-it reliability, make-it-dance handling, and sit-up-straight comfort.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I like valve covers with some sort of design work/insignia too. Ford embossed "3.0L V6" on my truck's aluminum valve covers...kind of a nice touch.

To me, that sort of stuff shows a pride in engineering, and attention to detail that few consumers appreciate. It's easily justified when the engine sits under a glass rear window and is intended to look as good as it performs or sounds. But on an old pushrod V-6 or a little 4-banger in a Honda? I appreciate that the bean counters haven't nixed everything unnecessary to function; small details like this tell me the flame is still lit with the engineering team somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back