2008 Ford Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father just purchased a 2008 Ford Edge. I don't know anything about it, i.e. engine ect. My father told me that it came with synthetic oil and the dealer told him not to change it for 7500 miles. Does that pertain to the first change? Does Ford put something special in the factory fill like Honda?

Basically my question is when should I perform the first oil change?

Thanks

I would give it 3000-5000 miles.
But:
What ever would make you the most comfortable is what I would recommend.
I would not go over 7500 miles thats for sure.

I have never seen the act of draining the FF early hurt any car or truck. But leaving it in too long could be potentially harmful, that's why it seems the majority of us drain the FF somewhat early. I would not go 7500 with the FF on any rig.

Break in wear metals with a FL400S filter for 7500? Find it hard to believer it is a full syn oil. I would change out the first change no more than 2-3k miles. Or if leaving the oil in for 7500 at least run an Amsoil EAO or Mobil 1 oil filter that can keep break in metals/stuff filtered out of the oil.

Now that Ford is saying to change at 7500 is the filter any better than it used to be, I doubt it? Does he drive normal or severe? If severe he won't have a long life changing at 7500.

"They" don't know what they are talking about.

Sometimes I think that manufacturers are tired of dealers persuading buyers to come in ever 3000 miles for an oil change, and trying to get them to do it right off the bat. This is a way for them to curb that behavior pretty easily.

Other times I think there is something to leaving the assembly lube in there a bit longer.

Either way, I'd be itchy to at least change the filter a lot earlier than 7500 miles.

As bdcardinal stated, the factory fill is MC 5w20 -- not a full synthetic. I've had several new Ford over the past few years. I've always dumped the factory fill and gorilla-applied filter at about 1500 mi. The next change I do at a 3000 interval. The 3rd change, I tyipcally leave in there for 6 mo, or 5000/7500 mi (whatever the manual states).

Thanks for the input. His car might see 9000 miles in a year. A few trips to Florida and them mostly around town driving. I believe I'll dump it at 2000 miles.

I wonder if the engines are test run, drained and refilled before ever being put into the vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back