2008 Dodge Ram 3500, 9100 miles, Kendall SuperDXA 15w40

Oil change interval running trailers with Kendall Super-D XA in the sump.

Polaris comments:
Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor equipment and fluid conditions. Chrome is at a MINOR LEVEL and is possibly coming from piston ring plating. Base Number is SLIGHTLY LOW. As Base Number depletes, the ability to neutralize acids is diminished. Lubricant change acknowledged.

Dodge-UOA.PNG

Kendall Super D-XA also has Titanium antiwear additive, 92 ppm.
Wear metals also had Tin at 1 ppm.

The high Chromium reading from the last analysis has dropped from 7 to 2.
Iron wear dropped from 50 to 41 from the last analysis, so maybe there was some Chrome loss from the rings that caused higher Iron.

Safe oil change interval seems to be about 9-10k miles, and I can use a Fram Ultra filter for two intervals.

108K in the last 11 months, you put some serious miles on this rig!
OP says he is hauling trailers, I'm guessing campers. Keep in mind with Covid 19 the RV industry has seen a significant increase. As we traveled around this summer with our camper we saw several trucks hauling campers west on I-80.

Just my $0.02

OP says he is hauling trailers, I'm guessing campers. Keep in mind with Covid 19 the RV industry has seen a significant increase. As we traveled around this summer with our camper we saw several trucks hauling campers west on I-80.

Just my $0.02
Owwwww, my aching back! Travel trailers. Mostly northern routes. Covered Utah to Delaware this year.

The Kendall oil (and results) should be in line with the motorcraft diesel oils. As far as I know ConocoPhillips is the supplier for Kendall as well as motorcraft. That engine oxidizes the oil and causes it to thicken in short order.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the corrected iron and iron wear rate?
It's a calculation I do in the spreadsheet to account for dilution of the wear metals due to addition of fresh oil during the oil change interval. I added a quart, so the iron reading could be lower than it would be if no oil had to be added. Depending on how oil is actually lost from the engine, this correction may or may not be valid. But I include it in the spreadsheet because it's easy to do.

I see. On a similar note, you can't remove all oil from the engine, up to half a quart is left behind, so that will give some PPM iron even with 0 miles.

Back