2008 CR-V occasional no start

Over the past couple months my wife's CRV has occasionally been slow to start. As in the engine will struggle but turn over slowly before firing. It may do it hot/cold or on the 1st/10th start throughout the day. Battery test good on multiple battery testers and the terminals are clean and tight. Today it fired up fine when she left work. Wouldn't start at my parents house, but started with jumper cables and has started about 20 times since then with no issue. I'm thinking I must have a starter getting weak. What do yall think?

Yep, both of my Honda/Acura's did this when the starter was on the way out. I replaced them both with ones from Advance Auto since it needed to be fixed right then. After that I cleaned up the Acura starter solenoid and put new brushes in it. The Accord got new brushes and a new solenoid since it didn't come apart. I have then on hand as spares since the core charge was only $15 on them.

Starter. And it's easiest to do the job by removing the intake, not from the bottom. It's about 1 hr job and you can reuse the metal intake gasket if you are careful.

Over the past couple months my wife's CRV has occasionally been slow to start. As in the engine will struggle but turn over slowly before firing. It may do it hot/cold or on the 1st/10th start throughout the day. Battery test good on multiple battery testers and the terminals are clean and tight. Today it fired up fine when she left work. Wouldn't start at my parents house, but started with jumper cables and has started about 20 times since then with no issue. I'm thinking I must have a starter getting weak. What do yall think?

It does sound like the starter is on its way out, don't mess around with chain store remans or cheap new go with a Bosch reman, they are probably the best reman, they actually install some new parts and offer a good warranty. "24 Months Unlimited Mileage - Roadside Assistance Included"

It does sound like the starter is on its way out, don't mess around with chain store remans or cheap new go with a Bosch reman, they are probably the best reman, they actually install some new parts and offer a good warranty. "24 Months Unlimited Mileage - Roadside Assistance Included"

Why Bosch over Denso?

Lets start with this..

Warranty Information: 12 Months For the Denso.

Warranty Information: 24 Months Unlimited Mileage - Roadside Assistance Included For the Bosch.

For $5 more that is lot more value. All the Bosch remans I have dealt with have been like brand new not just painted up.

Starter. And it's easiest to do the job by removing the intake, not from the bottom. It's about 1 hr job and you can reuse the metal intake gasket if you are careful.

Its interesting I've always heard to do it from the top as well, but I see people doing it both ways in youtube videos. I'll be honest I'm currently being tempted by this cheapie on amazon..

I've had really good luck with the cheap starters/alternators on amazon/ebay.. But maybe its just that good luck. Will decide if I want to spring for the better rebuild or not. Thanks for the input everyone.

Its interesting I've always heard to do it from the top as well, but I see people doing it both ways in youtube videos. I'll be honest I'm currently being tempted by this cheapie on amazon..

I've had really good luck with the cheap starters/alternators on amazon/ebay.. But maybe its just that good luck. Will decide if I want to spring for the better rebuild or not. Thanks for the input everyone.

No offense but if you buy that back alley Chicom crap order a pair of sneakers to keep in the car. It is good luck you got one that lasted more than a few months, consider the labor and difficulty vs the savings.

Last edited:
Lets start with this..

Warranty Information: 12 Months For the Denso.

Warranty Information: 24 Months Unlimited Mileage - Roadside Assistance Included For the Bosch.

For $5 more that is lot more value. All the Bosch remans I have dealt with have been like brand new not just painted up.

I have never placed much value into part warranties. The goal is to buy a part that does not need them. The warranty is just icing on the cake. Is there something about the Bosch reman process that makes you more confident about the final product?

Denso it seems are not much more than a check this and that and repaint outfit (I know you like them but they are far from what they try to sell themselves as from what I have seen). Bosch actually does a decent rebuild again just going from the ones I have seen and used. A warranty with roadside service is great if the wife and kids are out in the car, more than just icing on the cake IMO.

Edit: Who does the remans for Denso? Bosch has their own facility.

I do them from the bottom......Remove the Knock Sensor FIRST after getting the Intake Brace out of the way!!!!

That was a pro tip about the knock sensor. No way you're getting that top bolt off with that in there. I did it from the bottom today and I had it done in around 1.5hrs which is faster than I expected. It certainly a tight space to work in and the top bolt is tricky. I put in the cheap amazon starter. Will report back if/when I come to regret that decision. It does turn over notably faster with the new starter.

Denso it seems are not much more than a check this and that and repaint outfit (I know you like them but they are far from what they try to sell themselves as from what I have seen). Bosch actually does a decent rebuild again just going from the ones I have seen and used. A warranty with roadside service is great if the wife and kids are out in the car, more than just icing on the cake IMO.

Edit: Who does the remans for Denso? Bosch has their own facility.
It's good marketing when you explain to the customer that you are using a part from a vendor who theoretically has experience with their vehicle brand. With that said, my experience with Denso is still better than parts store brands so I have not seen a reason to change.

Back