2008 civic manual trans fluid

Honda recommends there own fluid of course but says motor oil can be a temporary replacement? What should I use? I'd like something decent and widely available. There isn't a Honda dealer near me so if I go the Honda fluid route I'd likely need to order it online.

if you're online, get some of the redline mt series fluid in whichever viscosity is recommended. Top quality stuff.

Best for Honda Manual Transmissions
Check the reviews, Honda owners swear by this stuff.

Here;s my fave review. Similar to my results

default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

Racerboy629
5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference in my 2015 Honda Civic SI !!!!!!
Reviewed in the United States on October 7, 2018
Size : 1 Quart (32 Ounces)Verified Purchase
Most gearheads in the Honda world swear up and down that the only thing that should be run in the 6 speed manual transmissions of the SI line of civics, is Honda MTL. But after reading all the reviews on RP Syncromax... I threw my $$$ in and figured I'd try it. Let's just say that I had no idea how noisy my tranny was, until the noise wasn't there anymore. Honda is known for their 6 spd trans being not only bullet proof, but butter smooth. And with the relatively low 25k miles that I have on my SI... I didn't expect to notice very much difference. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! OMG what a difference! I pumped the first quart in. Then filled the bottle half way up with Lucas synthetic stabilizer. Filled the rest of the bottle up with my remaining 2nd quart of RP Syncromax. Shook it up to mix it... then pumped it in till it was coming out the overflow. Cleaned up, straightened up, put all my stuff away, then washed my hands so I could go see what would happen next.
Jumped in and started her up. Pulling out of the driveway... didn't notice anything. Couple blocks away... still didn't notice anything. But after a couple miles, and 20 or 30 shifts later.... I noticed that things were silky smooth. And got slightly smoother the further I went.
Additionally.... I swear I had no idea how noisy my tranny was... until it suddenly was quiet. OMG what a difference.
Now I'm a week in, and am loving the fact that I made the decision to use RP in my gearbox. Totally recommend it.

You can try Valvoline or Pennzoil synchromesh. Should be available at O'Reilly or AutoZone. I've seen it work okay in a pinch, but I still prefer the Honda fluid, Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF if possible.

AC Delco Friction Modified synchromesh, which you should be able to get at a Chevy dealer. Honda had a tsb to use it in the Accord and Acuras with V6 manuals that experienced shifting issues. But also works great with other manual Hondas.

Back