2008 Accord Caliper pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is a follow up to a previous thread, Here

I have changed the rear pads on my car 3 times so far. Prior to the first time changing them last year I had never changed pads or rotors on any car by the ripe old age of 26. I have the service manual for my car and followed it to the letter while changing my brakes.
Upon further investigation and through the advice of others I realized that I had not done anything with the caliper pins. I reviewed the service manual and sure enough it doesn't mention a thing about the caliper pins lube, cleaning, etc. So today I took each wheel and caliper off and this is what I found.
IMAG0645.jpg

IMAG0646.jpg

old grease on the shaft was dark but not black, it didn't look too dry although there wasn't much grease on the pins
IMAG0647.jpg

Here is a pic showing the color of the grease. It looks just like regular old wheel bearing grease. Has that solid color and that yellow tint to it.
IMAG0651.jpg

I thought this was odd but what do I know? on each caliper one pin was completely smooth and one pin had 3 edges in the pin. On the rear the lower pins had the edges and on the front the upper pins had the edges/ridges,
Is that normal, the edges all looked uniform to me but the end of the pin looked like it was beat into shape and not perfectly cut.
Based on my research for Honda's I found that the most recommended lube was 3M silicone paste. Which for all intensive purposes is dielectric grease. I cleaned and reinstalled the pins using a thicker dielectric grease that I had in the garage.
What do you guys think of the pics?

Last edited:
It was definitely slightly overdue for re-greasing but otherwise looked ok.

I always inspect and lube the sliding caliper pins whenever I service the brakes.

Strange that the service manual didn't say a word about them...
crazy2.gif
33.gif

Many people use sil-glide from NAPA.

Remember if they are rusty you should not wire brush them smooth as the plating is gone. Replace them.

It needs to work properly for the next 30K miles, so just because it looks good now does not mean it will work properly for 30K miles.

e serviced countless automobiles and re-lubed all their calipers with syl-glide.

I have loads of silicone dielectric grease with me but it is not meant (nor is it really compatible) with the grease inside the caliper sliding pin cavity.

Lube it and get on with your life.

Q.

Good call on finding that the pins were in need of some lube

Haven't seen your other thread yet but you must have been going thru pads like crazy

I'll wager your MPG is going to skyrocket now

Congrats....!

This is what Honda recommends. I have called a few dealers and this is the exact can they decribe to me. But it doesnt exactly says dielectric grease on the package. Part number 08946
356515.jpg

Now there is this stuff... also 3M says Dielectric grease on it as well as "for brake systems". Part number 08946
08946_1.jpg

Same stuff

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
any comments on the pins shafts having the flat edges on them?

Are these Honda OEM brakes, did you ever get your rears replaced, Honda had a recall on that year for excessive rear wear. From what I remember it had to do with replacing something in the caliper.

mine are like that too. one is top and one is bottom - can't remember which. i just make sure i lube one and put it back before i remove the next one. and i use syl-glide too!!

Originally Posted By: Quakish

mine are like that too. one is top and one is bottom - can't remember which. i just make sure i lube one and put it back before i remove the next one. and i use syl-glide too!!

same on my 2004 TSX. but i don't remember the order.

The flat edges one (caliper pin) should be on the bottom (closer to the ground) than the one above.

reversed the 2 caliper pins may cause caliper drag, uneven brake pad wear, or sometimes even squealing upon slight brake pedal depression (uneven pad drag).

Also: all the Honda factory service manual I owned (Helms) indicates silicone grease for caliper pins and rubber parts: P/N 08C30-B0234M.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/honda/H-08c30-b0234m.html?gclid=CInFh-uo2boCFeY-MgodiyEAIQ

sells for about $50/100gms.

Q.

My go-to "solution" for anything brakes is regreasing caliper pins and a quick brake bleed. That usually solves majority of the brake noise and irregular brake-feel problems.

I like the all-purpose brake grease, which you can also use with drum brakes. My bottle of Permatex w/ ceramic will probably last me my lifetime. I've also had good experiences using CRC brake grease, silicone/dielectric, and SilGlyde.

Just remember, do not use any petroleum based products which will eat any rubber boots and cause failure.

I think the flat edges are to allow air to move behind the pin and break any suction created. At least that is the effect on my Toyota. Overuse of a very heavy grease was making both pins bind up. They were hard to get out. I guess one pin should move freely to prevent the binding.

Last edited:
Dont forget to clean the old grease out of the holes where the pins slide.

Also be sure the rubber dust boots are properly seated when you replace the pins. If it's out of place dirt and water will get inside and seize the pin rather quickly. Dont ask how I know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
It was definitely slightly overdue for re-greasing but otherwise looked ok.

I always inspect and lube the sliding caliper pins whenever I service the brakes.

Strange that the service manual didn't say a word about them...
crazy2.gif
33.gif

Yupp, I just put new ROTORS on the front of my ACCORD and I put Wearever brakes and it was the PLATINUM so it came with new hardware and very nice size tube of brake lube or whatever you want to call it.. However I had some Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant amd I used as much of it as I had

I took the calapir pins off front and re lubbed em and on the back and re lubbed them and they looked just like yours.. very dry dirty lube was on it.

then I used what came in the wearever

Also did you ever change the brake hardware?

Last edited:
yeh the duralast cmax pads that I bought came with new hardware. It came with the clips that go on the top and bottom of the caliper but did not come with the little spring that the OEM pads had on them.

Synglide is the only known caliper pin lube that doesn't bloat up the rubber housing and rubber o-ring.

In-fact I have used regular brake compound (ignorance) and found it hard to bring the pin out.

Stay away from regular lube for the caliper pins and specifically the o-ring at the bottom of the pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back