2008 Accord ATF

On a maintained Honda, 3x drain-and-refill is complete overkill. Even Honda says this is only needed when maintenance is "unknown", don't they ?
Agree, the driveaccord vernacular I used for 1x3 means 1 drain and fill w/3qts fresh.

that’s all I do for my Accord every 30k, 3 fresh quarts in every 30k seems to keep them happy

Agree, the driveaccord vernacular I used for 1x3 means 1 drain and fill w/3qts fresh.
I used to frequent a couple Honda forums more frequently but haven't seen it phrased like that. I thought you meant (1) 3x drain-and-fill (9 quarts total replaced).

If transmission runs at 200F+ all the time it really is not. For 2016_2019 pilots honda issued TSB that states exactly this - magic DW1 fluid deteriorates quickly due to high temps and causes torque converter judder. Solution - 3 D&F. To each it's own
If you have to issue a TSB to address it, that's not "normal". That's a design flaw. Now, if doing (3) drain-and-fills keeps it good, well, Honda got lucky ! How often does this TSB say to do this ?

If transmission runs at 200F+ all the time it really is not. For 2016_2019 pilots honda issued TSB that states exactly this - magic DW1 fluid deteriorates quickly due to high temps and causes torque converter judder. Solution - 3 D&F. To each it's own
Disregard my question above, I found the TSBs. Your answer is not exactly transparent or accurate. The solution Honda has is a software update that fixes this issue. Yes, they do say to replace the ATF (3x) but this is a one-time thing. After this, the MM schedule applies.

Disregard my question above, I found the TSBs. Your answer is not exactly transparent or accurate. The solution Honda has is a software update that fixes this issue. Yes, they do say to replace the ATF (3x) but this is a one-time thing. After this, the MM schedule applies.
It doesn't. It runs at the same temperature and same thing happens to the fluid. Good try though

Honda simply calls out for a 'transmission fluid change'. In Honda-Speak, that is a 3x ~3qt drain and fill. They have no service that involves just one cycle of it. So when the MM or milage calls for it, you're in for ~9-12qts of fluid.

It doesn't. It runs at the same temperature and same thing happens to the fluid. Good try though
Honda feels differently than you on this 🤷‍♂️

Honda simply calls out for a 'transmission fluid change'. In Honda-Speak, that is a 3x ~3qt drain and fill. They have no service that involves just one cycle of it. So when the MM or milage calls for it, you're in for ~9-12qts of fluid.
I'm not referring to the fluid flush they say to do in those TSBs. I'm referring to DIY or even dealer ATF drains done at 30k, 50k, etc - those are single drain-and-fills, even when the dealers perform them. I say that because they're charging $89-129 for this service and just labor-wise, they're not doing it 3x for that price. Now yes, when the MM says to change it, that can be a 3x, but what mileage - 60k, 75k, 105k ?

That's actually not what I was talking about. I knew I'd read in a manual somewhere about the 3x D&F but I double checked with the 2008 manual and you are correct. They only call for 1 D&F . That's the official Honda word.

This is why I prefer a chart over the MM's they use today. Too hard for the average person that wants to maintain their stuff to make heads or tails of it.

Honda feels differently than you on this 🤷‍♂️

I'm not referring to the fluid flush they say to do in those TSBs. I'm referring to DIY or even dealer ATF drains done at 30k, 50k, etc - those are single drain-and-fills, even when the dealers perform them. I say that because they're charging $89-129 for this service and just labor-wise, they're not doing it 3x for that price. Now yes, when the MM says to change it, that can be a 3x, but what mileage - 60k, 75k, 105k ?
would you happen to own a one of the latest honda products? to be more specific, the one that has 6 AT unit in it and runs of DW1 unicorn juice?

Back