2008 Accord ATF

Hi everyone. I have a 2008 4cyl Honda Accord with 5 speed auto.

I changed atf 2 years ago (Honda dw1) but only drove about 6000 miles since then.

The atf fluid looks good (bright red) but I was wondering if I should do drain and fill of ATF just cause the last time I did it was 2 years ago?

The engine oil i change at least once per year even if only 3000 miles passed by. I do work myself in my front yard so it does not cost me much.

But I was wondering if I should do the same with the atf just because 2 years passed?

I keep my cars forever. Can't stand new cars with start stop bs and all the extra electronics nannies.

Thank you.

Welcome to BITOG :)

You don't have to change the ATF that often. Your Honda should have a maintenance minder that tells you when it's time to change it. You can follow its advice with no problem.

General consensus on honda specific forums is to change ATF every 30k.

Especially on the heavier hondas like odyssey/pilot/ridgeline

Honda OEM DW1 is NOT synthetic and degrades faster in high heat/load conditions. if you are feeling notchy shifts it is time to do another drain and fill

Thank you all. I ll do a drain and fill. I have to change rear diff fluid on my 2005 CRV anyhow so I ll do both cars at the same time.

In our 2008 odyssey I changed atf every 9000 miles and at 99k did 3 fills and drains. Now at 107k did another fill and drain.

As I said I keep m our cars for ages.

67,000 miles. ATF changed every 8k-9k with honda atf. One fill and drain. Did 3 fill and drains at 50k.
Engine Oil changed every 4k with full synthetic.

I'd say you're well ahead of the curve then. Don't think it will matter one way or the other. A spill and fill every second or third oil change and don't worry about the time and you're doing more than about 98% of Accord owners are going to do.

I'd say you're well ahead of the curve then. Don't think it will matter one way or the other. A spill and fill every second or third oil change and don't worry about the time and you're doing more than about 98% of Accord owners are going to do.
Thank you.

I'm 45 and have owned 5 cars, still own 2 of them. The Accord I bought brand new and its still a daily driver, going strong. Looks to be on its last leg, but that's just good ol Honda paint and 230,000+ miles. Underneath, it is solid as a rock.
I m 46 and have 3 Hondas (05 crv, 08 accord, and 08 odyssey). Crv has about 84k miles, accord 67k miles and odyssey 107k miles. CRV was made in Japan and the other two in the US.

I keep them in top mechanical conditions. Underneath solid as rocks. Some paint scratches thru the years on crv from cats and squirrels and some dings bit who cares.

The best part? All paid off long time ago. No stop start, no nannie electronics, simple to work on. I have zero interest in new cars.

Hi everyone. I have a 2008 4cyl Honda Accord with 5 speed auto.

I changed atf 2 years ago (Honda dw1) but only drove about 6000 miles since then.

The atf fluid looks good (bright red) but I was wondering if I should do drain and fill of ATF just cause the last time I did it was 2 years ago?

The engine oil i change at least once per year even if only 3000 miles passed by. I do work myself in my front yard so it does not cost me much.

But I was wondering if I should do the same with the atf just because 2 years passed?

I keep my cars forever. Can't stand new cars with start stop bs and all the extra electronics nannies.

Thank you.
Drain it again.
I had an 06 accord. Ran maxlife for 60 000 without any issues.

1x3 drain and fill with DW-1 every ~30k and motor on worry free, the 8th gen transmissions are a huge improvement in durability over previous gens, particularly in the v6, the 4 cylinder like yours was always a lot better, just keep the oil topped up and you’re good

Back when we had a 08 CRV I did 30K changes with Maxlife. 180K when we got rid of it working great. Now we have a 19 Pilot that uses the same fluid spec. Giving Amsoil a try.

1x3 drain and fill with DW-1 every ~30k and motor on worry free, the 8th gen transmissions are a huge improvement in durability over previous gens, particularly in the v6, the 4 cylinder like yours was always a lot better, just keep the oil topped up and you’re good

Or 1x D&F every other (of his 4-4500 mile) oil change would accomplish the same amount of fluid exchange over that same period of time (~30,000 miles).

I would rather just do one D&F every other oil change than 3 times in a day every 30k. Which is pretty much exactly what I do. I'm already under the car and I don't have to climb my dirty sweaty self into the car and go for a drive 3 times. Drop the drain plug and refill. Done deal.

Last edited:
On a maintained Honda, 3x drain-and-refill is complete overkill. Even Honda says this is only needed when maintenance is "unknown", don't they ?
If transmission runs at 200F+ all the time it really is not. For 2016_2019 pilots honda issued TSB that states exactly this - magic DW1 fluid deteriorates quickly due to high temps and causes torque converter judder. Solution - 3 D&F. To each it's own

Back