2007 to 2010 Sienna and Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for an 8 passenger van. The toyota is nice, no problems I hear of with the engine or trans, but power doors iffy. However, 8 passenger is scarcer than hens teeth.

The Honda is more common in 8 passenger, but that little middle seat isn't as useful. Transmission problems with the 2000-2006 or so? When did that stop? Also, VCM problems on the EX-L and Touring? Is that a significant flaw or just an annoyance? Which years dont have VCM on the LX and EX models. Do the LX come with 8 seats at all?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL-400S

l. Transmission problems with the 2000-2006 or so? When did that stop? Also, VCM problems on the EX-L and Touring? Is that a significant flaw or just an annoyance? Which years dont have VCM on the LX and EX models. Do the LX come with 8 seats at all?

Thanks!

2005 and up Odysseys have good trans. 2004 was the last bad year.

Don't get a VCM. Most importantly, don't get one with "Pax" tire systems. You better google "De-Pax" tire conversions, seriously.

The first Sienna's starting in 2007 had a VVTi rubber oil line and oil cooler lines. Make sure they have been changed to steel lines.

It has to to have 8 seats? I've never cared for that configuration due to how it reduces space and doesn't offer that much more 'seating' anyway.

2007+ is the sweet spot for Odysseys, provided you go non VCM or PAX tires. We had a 2008 Ody LX for 5yrs. It was a great van. I actually like our 2013 Grand Caravan better though.

Originally Posted By: JTK
It has to to have 8 seats? I've never cared for that configuration due to how it reduces space and doesn't offer that much more 'seating' anyway.

2007+ is the sweet spot for Odysseys, provided you go non VCM or PAX tires. We had a 2008 Ody LX for 5yrs. It was a great van. I actually like our 2013 Grand Caravan better though.

having 3 kids in the 2nd row all in a line makes them an easy reach for mom to thwack them when necessary.

We have a 2010 Sienna (last year of that generation) and like it. It's an 8-passenger LE. The middle seat is decent sized--but having the 8th seat means that you get no armrests on the backseat because of the design. In other words, the only armrests are on the two front seats. This makes for a little awkward seating (your arms really dangle), especially since we leave the middle seat out. They are also a pain to install and remove. But as far as the van's concerned, plenty of power (~275 HP), decent MPG, and an OK range of features (no compass or thermometer, but it does have an AUX jack). The car has been reliable other than a $1000 repair to the VVT system (@100,000 miles). But yes, I think you would do well with a Sienna. However, I would avoid the 8-passenger unless you really need it. And we have manual doors-- but one of the interior handles broke @80k miles.

Last edited:
I'd like a 9 passenger if I can get it. Almost every vehicle has 3 seats in the second row, why shouldn't a van? Why shouldnt the front row have that option like a pickup or buick or crown vic?

Anywho, I think the 04-10 sienna has the best middle row for 3 seats. Maybe the 2011+ odyssey is next best. Either way, the middle seat folded down seems to be the armrest. Are there non-VCM 2011+ odysseys?

Are the 2015 hondas still plagued by VCM problems? Which years did VCM become standard even on EX 8 passenger models?

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
... Almost every vehicle has 3 seats in the second row, why shouldn't a van? Why shouldnt the front row have that option like a pickup or buick or crown vic?

Probably has to do with keeping it easy to get into the 3rd row and keeping functionality/versatility high. Even the largest full sized conversion vans typically have a pair of captain's chairs in the second row to keep ease of access and give you storage options.

I know for us, constantly shuttling 4 or more kids with their school gear, sports gear and musical instruments, making getting in/out tighter would be a negative.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back