2007 Mazdaspeed 3 at 150,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased the car new on July 14, 2007. From 5,000 miles to 69,000 miles I ran a 5,000 mile )CI using M1 5W-30. At 69,000 miles I extended the OCI to 7,500 miles(still using M1 5W-30) and at 115,000 miles I switched to M1 EP 5W-30. I have a UOA performed at every change; here are Blackstone Lab's comments at 146,000 miles:

Quote:
We'd tell you this is another great sample from your MS3 (which it is), but that's old news for this engine. This is the 20th report for this engine, so you've got some very solid unit/location averages established for this motor, and this report is only adding to the good numbers displayed in that column. Basically, we're really just trying to tell you how good this report is in a way that you might not have heard before. Keep up the good work, this engine is in great shape as far as we're concerned. The TBN of 4.6 is plenty strong. Zoom zoom!

In all honesty I was a bit disappointed with reliability over the first 70,000 miles; during that period it required:

1. A new turbo(Per a TSB- not exclusive to my car, most all of the early models all had turbo replaced due to smoking at idle)
2. A front strut
3. A variable valve timing actuator(Again per a TSB)
4. An EGR valve

All but the EGR valve were replaced under warranty. After the EGR issue I began using Top Tier fuels exclusively and no EGR issues have returned. I also began using Techron regularly to keep the injectors clean.

At 59,000 miles it required new front pads and rotors. At 71,000 miles the rear shocks were toast and I had them replaced with OEM pieces. In retrospect I wish I had gone ahed and installed KONI FSDs at all four corners but at that point I was relatively certain I was going to sell the car.

Since that time I really haven't had any significant issues arise. At 5.5 years and 97,000 miles I replaced the battery. At 131,000 miles the the dealer fitted a new thermostat and rear pads(the original rotors were still good!). At 133,000 miles a friend and I replaced the front anti-roll bar bushings(the OEM replacements were a whopping $28).

Modifications: I rarely leave any of my cars totally stock and this car is no exception. My goal was to increase the horsepower/torque as well as handling without affecting everyday usability and comfort.

1. Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake(43,000 mile)- Mazda claimed a 25 hp increase and it did chop 0.60 seconds off the 30-70 mph times in third gear.

2. Hypertech Tuner(136,000 miles)- A very mild "canned" tune-bought used for $230-it chopped another 0.40 seconds off the 30-70 mph times. I haven't dynoed the car yet, but I'm estimating the car is making at least 280 measured at the front wheels.Fuel economy was unaffected- if not improved a tick at cruise.

3. Focus ST/Electric Rear Motor Mount(145,000 miles)- I wanted to control motor movement a bit better without adding vibrations. The Focus mount was inexpensive($60) and works great.

4. 225/45-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on 2nd Gen MS3 wheels- Wow. All I can say is that so far I've run out of courage before I've run out of grip.

5. KONI FSD struts/shocks(132,000 miles)- I replaced bump stops, strut mounts/bearings while I was at it. A massive improvement all around, and I wish I had fitted them sooner.

6. James Barone Racing Adjustable Rear Anti-Roll Bar and billet mounts(142,000 miles)- At present I'm running it at the intermediate setting(50% stiffer than OEM) and it has provided the neutral balance I was seeking. The bar was replaced at 149,000 miles pursuant to a recall from JBR(a supplier missed a weld on a batch of ARBs and their was a chance mine was part of that batch. While I was at it I installed new OEM links and they quieted things down a bit.

Maintenance: I follow the schedule in the owners manual- except that the transaxle gets Motorcraft XT-M5-QS Synthetic Transmission Fluid every 30,000 miles and the brake fluid is flushed annually.

Fuel economy averages @27 mpg.

I am very happy with the car as it now sits. It has ample power, superb handling, and is still docile enough that passengers can't tell that it's been modified.How much longer will I keep it? Hard to say, but there are very few used cars under $30k(or new under $40k) that I like better. I may hold out for the rumored 300+ hp AWD Mazdaspeed 3 expected sometime in 2016.

Quote:
.... This is the 20th report for this engine

20 UOA reports?????? Do you work for the company getting free reports?

Are you expecting one of these reports to come back with some totally different information?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
Quote:
.... This is the 20th report for this engine

20 UOA reports?????? Do you work for the company getting free reports?

Are you expecting one of these reports to come back with some totally different information?

What can I say? I'm OCD...

Spot on!
thumbsup2.gif

TBN of 4.6 after 7500 miles indicates that M1 5W30 EP can easily stay in service for another 4-5k miles or more.

Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake increases 25 hp is amazing. Why didn't they have it as stock ?

There was/is no performance parts (OEM or aftermarket) can improve the power of S2000 by more 3-5 HP, which is within error on dino. Only Turbo/Super Charge can add power to the stock S2000 engine.

I wish a cold air intake can add 10-15 HP to my S2000, I would have it in a minute.

Love these long term reports. While you had teething problems with new design, really amazing that nothing more has had to be replaced. Amazing how good today's cars are.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake increases 25 hp is amazing. Why didn't they have it as stock ?

There was/is no performance parts (OEM or aftermarket) can improve the power of S2000 by more 3-5 HP, which is within error on dino. Only Turbo/Super Charge can add power to the stock S2000 engine.

I wish a cold air intake can add 10-15 HP to my S2000, I would have it in a minute.

I'd say that noise and maintenance kept the intake from being utilized as the OEM fitment. The intake(essentially a re-badged AEM piece) is a bit louder at more than half throttle and the filter element is located ahead of the left front wheel- so you remove it from underneath the car when it needs to be cleaned. It's a dryflow element; I bought an extra one so that I can swap them out without having to wait to clean and dry it. As an aside, Grassroots Motorsports installed the AEM CAI and obtained the same results as I did in the 30-70 mph 3rd gear test.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Love these long term reports. While you had teething problems with new design, really amazing that nothing more has had to be replaced. Amazing how good today's cars are.

Yes, although the teething issues were aggravating I'm glad I stuck with it. I'll also add that my dealer-Kings Mazda in Cincinnati-has always provided excellent service.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'd say that noise and maintenance kept the intake from being utilized as the OEM fitment. The intake(essentially a re-badged AEM piece) is a bit louder at more than half throttle and the filter element is located ahead of the left front wheel- so you remove it from underneath the car when it needs to be cleaned. It's a dryflow element; I bought an extra one so that I can swap them out without having to wait to clean and dry it. As an aside, Grassroots Motorsports installed the AEM CAI and obtained the same results as I did in the 30-70 mph 3rd gear test.

I don't doubt about your Mazdaspeed 3 cold air intake add 25 HP to engine with stock air intake. This tells me stock air intake and the engine itself isn't optimized.

Some S2000 owners modified their cars with aftermarket parts(some with JDM parts), from cold air intake to exhaust to header ... and none gave any significant increase in power, only few HP at most and some cases it made less power on dyno runs. This tells me the stock engine of S2000 was optimal.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Nice! Still love the look of those years...

Speaking of which, we could use a few pics!
smile.gif

Thanks!
And as requested:

MS32_zpsur1krp65.jpg

MS3_zps153e489c.jpg

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I don't doubt about your Mazdaspeed 3 cold air intake add 25 HP to engine with stock air intake. This tells me stock air intake and the engine itself isn't optimized.

Some S2000 owners modified their cars with aftermarket parts(some with JDM parts), from cold air intake to exhaust to header ... and none gave any significant increase in power, only few HP at most and some cases it made less power on dyno runs. This tells me the stock engine of S2000 was optimal.

You are comparing a turbo engine to natural aspirated. Turbo engines it is quite easy to increase power with better breathing and exhaust beyond some programming. Natural aspirated you are more or less stuck with what you got.

I enjoyed reading your report. I traded my '08 Speed3 with 33,000 miles for the new, factory ordered, 2SS/RS Camaro Convertible in my sig. Loved the Mazda but it was ultimately limited by FWD. Engine was a decade ahead of its time.

BTW, I have one dozen aftermarket oil filters that fit all Mazda 3s (turbo and NA) that I'd like to find a home for. PM if interested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I enjoyed reading your report. I traded my '08 Speed3 with 33,000 miles for the new, factory ordered, 2SS/RS Camaro Convertible in my sig. Loved the Mazda but it was ultimately limited by FWD. Engine was a decade ahead of its time.

Thanks! FWD is most definitely the limiting factor; that's the reason I didn't try to bump the power up any higher- unless you are racing in a straight line having more than @300 hp at the crank is pointless; I have to point and shoot out of corners as it is. Like you, I'm tempted by modern ponycars, in my case a 2012-2013 Boss 302 would be the best fit for me and my love of HPDEs...

I enjoyed reading your report. Thanks.

How hard would you say those 150k were? Did you take any special precautions with the turbo ie. letting it cool down after hot runs?

Originally Posted By: k24a4
I enjoyed reading your report. Thanks.

How hard would you say those 150k were? Did you take any special precautions with the turbo ie. letting it cool down after hot runs?

I don't constantly hammer the car, but I don't baby it either- although I wait until it's fully warmed up before I demand full power from the engine. Compared to other MS3 owners I would probably be considered gentle- some rarely average over 20 mpg.
When I tracked the car I would let it idle for several minutes after each session. On the street, if I've driven it for 2-3 minutes at low speeds after a long highway trip I generally don't wait more than 10 seconds to switch it off.

Nice report on the car. I will post one like this when my 2005 Legacy GT(turbo) wagon hits 200k soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back