2007 Honda Civic - new acquisition

NJC

In June of this year (2021) I purchased an original owner 2007 Civic EX 5sp, 201K KM's. I've driven it about 8K KM's so far. This vehicle has been dealer serviced and I expected it to easily soar past 400K.

Cons:

- Anemic engine with torque only in 4K-6K range (which isn't useful)
- Plastic and cheap feeling to 5sp shifter
- Road noise
- Heater motor is noisy.
- Poor quality AC (despite previous owner recharging twice, compressor will not activate. I expect better for its age).

Pros:

- Excellent fit on doors, body
- Excellent fuel economy (~6.5L/per 100km)
- Esthetics / looks
- Brakes–it stops FAST.
- Leather interior is comfy.
- Heater / AC controls are excellent

I'm ambivalent about the dash design, it's not my fav but good enough–the interior has a minimalist feel.
Overall it's a bland machine that won't excite many, but is a great low-maintenance commuter. After owning a Mazda 3 for ~3yrs previously, a boring Honda is welcome.

I am a Honda shill at heart, and have previously owned 3 Accords (2nd, 3rd and 4th gen). Maybe one day we'll get a Type R ... or at least a SI.

2007 Honda Civic.JPG

The early sedans require special wipers, but you can swap in wiper arms from the 09+ sedan that uses regular wipers.

As far as your last paragraph goes, in Canada, you also got the CSX Type-S :D

Reactions: NJC
The early sedans require special wipers, but you can swap in wiper arms from the 09+ sedan that uses regular wipers.

As far as your last paragraph goes, in Canada, you also got the CSX Type-S :D

I didn't know about the Type S CSX - 200hp 6sp is much more sensible.

Although gas is currently ~$5.85 USG, so economical helps.

- Anemic engine with torque only in 4K-6K range (which isn't useful)
- Plastic and cheap feeling to 5sp shifter
I would first like to say congratulations on getting a great little car.
Knowing that it is a little R18A1 the torque availability is to be expected.
You can change how it feels when shifting with a few things:

1: Transmission Fluid; This can make a large impact on how it goes into gear, especially during cold driving. The white cap Honda MTF is always tried and true, but for best feel with guaranteed same level protection, I personally recommend Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Trans Fluid. It is on the expensive side (links at bottom of reply), but it has provided me BUTTERY Shifts with very little regard to temperature. Understand that these transmissions are pretty hard on their MTF, and servicing is recommended early (every 40 to 50k) to preserve transmission life.

2: Shifter Bushings; Honda equips these vehicles with dampening rubber bushings. It does make the shifter feel slightly dead. Do your research into some metal based bushings from aftermarket companies (acuity, K-tuned, etc) and it should catch some of the slack from worn out components, prolong the life of certain transmission components such as shifter forks, synchronizers, and the like; and most importantly, it will allow you to feel the transmission more.

3: A quality weighted shift knob (subjective but Ill leave it here anyway) can improve shift feel and also make shifting easier by its inertia.

I can attest to this by having a '05 Acura Tsx, 6mt. Same amount of KMs (when converted from miles) as to your car.
Cheers again to your acquisition.

We have a 2007 EX coupe with a 5 speed manual 177k km's in our household. It's my sons first car he picked it up last winter and his heater/AC blower fan is also very loud. I've been thinking about installing a new one to see if that will quieten it down or if it's just a poor design? We put Pennzoil Synchromesh oil into the transmission that helped it shift a bit smoother.

These do seem like solid cars except for the clearcoat problems. He got a Maaco roof repaint on it this summer, the rest of the panels look okay.

I had an 06 Honda Civic coupe with a 5 speed. That car was very trouble free and so is it's replacement the 2012 I currently own. Change the manual transmission fluid and it should shift better for you. Your car looks really nice and clean by the pictures. Mine was starting to rust when I sold it about 6-7 years ago. Those Civics are one of the most reliable cars you can buy and are extremely easy to maintain which I am sure you are aware of after being a repeat buyer of Hondas.

Congrats on the new car. I think the white is the best color on this generation.

You could pull the blower motor out and check it for debris making noise. Just a few screws hold it in from the passenger footwell. Check the cabin air filter while you're at it.

I've always liked this body style.
It's probably my preferred for the Civic.
Congrats on the new car. I think the white is the best color on this generation.

You could pull the blower motor out and check it for debris making noise. Just a few screws hold it in from the passenger footwell. Check the cabin air filter while you're at it.
I was thinking it might be something stuck in motor too.

Back