2007 Ford F-350 Rotella T6 UOA

Truck has 87,000 Miles. 5,335 Miles on Oil & I ran 5w-40 T6. I used Oil Analyzers & I'm thinking the fuel is temporary or hope anyways. There were a few low speed High rev situations towing an rv that I'm thinking contributed to the fuel that was flagged #2 (Abnormal). The 6.0L is still wearing in so some metals are there. I'm switching over to the 15w-40 T6. Planning on sampling again in a couple oil changes.
Screenshot 2021-07-06 7.30.18 PM.jpg

Truck has 87,000 Miles. 5,335 Miles on Oil & I ran 5w-40 T6. I used Oil Analyzers & I'm thinking the fuel is temporary or hope anyways. There were a few low speed High rev situations towing an rv that I'm thinking contributed to the fuel that was flagged #2 (Abnormal). The 6.0L is still wearing in so some metals are there. I'm switching over to the 15w-40 T6. Planning on sampling again in a couple oil changes.View attachment 62661

i experienced shearing and lower viscosity in my Cummins powered Ram when I used Mobil Delvac 5w40. I switched to Delvac 15w40 and have not had issues since.

generally fuel dilution is from idling or cold weather

just my $0.02

I'm confused ... how is this "just wearing in" with 87k miles on it?
Admittedly, the wear is very good.
Fuel is interesting; leaking injector perhaps? Seems high for such as short run. I don't agree with "low speed high revs" being the issue; gotta be something else afoot.

I thought Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 were easy on oil. Any idea what caused the shearing, longer oci's?

I thought Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 were easy on oil. Any idea what caused the shearing, longer oci's?

based on information from Blackstone they suspected it was fuel dilution not helping the situation. They did not recommend the change from 5w40 to 15w40, but I did it to keep the cost down on shorter OCI's. I usually fall in that 4-5K range with my truck unless we do a lot of traveling in the summer pulling the camper, so I decided running a full synthetic oil for that short of time was probably a waste, but it needed changed. I have managed to stretch my changes recently from 5K to ~7K and all looks good.

On top of this Cummins recommends 5w40 for the 6.7L if temps fall below 0F. Honestly if it gets that cold I drive the wife's van because she ain't going anywhere when it's that cold... :ROFLMAO:

just my $0.02

I'm confused ... how is this "just wearing in" with 87k miles on it?
Admittedly, the wear is very good.
Fuel is interesting; leaking injector perhaps? Seems high for such as short run. I don't agree with "low speed high revs" being the issue; gotta be something else afoot.

Example: Brand new engine will have higher metals etc. than a used engine. The same example applies to 87k motor comparing to 180k motor. The 87k motor potentially shows higher metals b/c of wearing. There is more to "Wear" on a lower mile truck than a higher mile truck. This is not to say that it's in every situation sort of a general statement.

Fuel is something I'm going to find out long term. Leaky injector if it's still a problem I'm quite sure.
Thanks!

The wear is very desirable on this engine; keep it up!

Side note: have you addressed the oil cooler yet? If your EOTs are still OK or tolerable, I'd say get that thing changed BEFORE it ever creates the dreaded overheating issues, which cascade into disaster. The 6.0L has a poor reputation, some deserved and some not. But they are actually very decent engines if the root cause is dealt with (the oil cooler).

Side note: have you addressed the oil cooler yet? If your EOTs are still OK or tolerable, I'd say get that thing changed BEFORE it ever creates the dreaded overheating issues, which cascade into disaster. The 6.0L has a poor reputation, some deserved and some not. But they are actually very decent engines if the root cause is dealt with (the oil cooler).
New (updated) International Oil cooler & egr cooler in the last 15k I also put a coolant filter on w/HD antifreeze.

Love this 6.0!!
Thanks

Assuming your EOTs are now going to be well controlled, there's no reason to think this engine won't last a very long time. The wear is quite good. Find the fuel source (likely an injector) and then you're golden!

Leaky injector oring or the unit injector itself.

We had the absolute lastest inductive flash that preheated the injector coils to aid in starting and what a difference that made!!!! but in very very cold temps we still needed 5w-40 to be able to get good clean cold starts.

How often do the oil coolers need to be replaced on these engines?

How often do the oil coolers need to be replaced on these engines?
While I'm not dnewton3 I'll had my 2 cents. I've typically seen oil coolers needing replaced at least once. If your adding a coolant filter it should be the last one needed. Also, Switching to a true HD Antifreeze Coolant is highly recommended as the Ford Gold is blamed for not standing up well long term (Turning to Goo). If were talking 300,000 miles then I'd say you may need 2 replaced over that time but by that time your looking at a rebuild anyways ha ha.

Last edited:
Back