2007 F150 4.6 V8 15001 miles Amsoil ASM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a sample from my well beaten F-150. I drained the factory fill at 700 miles and installed an Edge programmer and am running level 2. Ran some motorcraft as a break in metal flush for about 1200 miles then switched to ASM and an EAO. I run the heck out of this truck...hauled tons of rock in the summer and spent the last 3 months of this fill performing mostly daily winter short tripping (
Enjoy...
F150ASM.jpg

For the 'abuse' this truck/oil combo have received (hard running, newness of the truck, amount of fuel, and length of service), this oil did great!

I thought it definitely did OK for being on the receiving end of my right foot and other planned escapades. I am really interested to see how the XL compares for wear control in this motor.

Nothing wrong with the oil but you ran it too long. What's wrong with a 7500 oci? Come on,be a sport.

I like to get my $ worth out of my oil and I'm getting to be the age where I don't like getting up and down off from the concrete so much!

Originally Posted By: pickled
I thought it definitely did OK for being on the receiving end of my right foot and other planned escapades. I am really interested to see how the XL compares for wear control in this motor.

How long will you run the XL for - 7.5k miles?

Are you 'worried' about your warranty with a new truck and a 15k run?

Nope...no warranty worries on my end. I mean come on I've already chipped the thing LOL! I only have 10 months of warranty coverage left so if something was going to blow it most likely would have by now. I'll run the XL out to 7500 and see what it looks like.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Nope...no warranty worries on my end. I mean come on I've already chipped the thing LOL! I only have 10 months of warranty coverage left so if something was going to blow it most likely would have by now. I'll run the XL out to 7500 and see what it looks like.

A oil sample at 7500 might be in the least, interresting
05.gif

Last edited:
I'm sure the XL will perform fine too... in fact I haven't seen a rough looking UOA with it posted on here yet. I'm fortunate to know someone, who knows someone who has it in bulk at their oil change shop- sure beats buying quarts and paying shipping LOL!

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Nothing wrong with the oil but you ran it too long. What's wrong with a 7500 oci? Come on,be a sport.

His engine won't be offended with what he did. It won't get angry or suffer from parental abuse issues when it grows up to be an adult.

7500 is a number that the engineers figured worked for most drivers with over the counter oils when the odometer is the best indicator of oil fatigue. GM products with an OLM prove that, above all else, YMMV in terms of service duty and oil fatigue (up to 13k for some and as low as 3k for some).

Those recommendations are to protect the consumer from themselves and saving the manufacturer from suffering the fall out.

I'd personally go 10k on the XL and see how it does.

Well noted Gary....I'll nut up and run it out to 10k and see what it looks like. I'll pull a sample at 7.5k via the dipstick (without adding 4oz of make-up oil sweetness to be fair) and then one at 10k to see how steep the TBN degradation is past 7.5k. I missed the opportunity to sneak in 3 samples that bracket well to check for a quadratic response of TBN depletion/1,000 miles. Most multi-TBN tests per drain interval that I have performed have come back being quite linear actually.

pickled,

What are you using for an air filter and when was it last changed/serviced? I don't think this oil was run too long I just think there are contamination issues. I would look for ways to drop the fuel and potential dirt ingress and I think things would look a lot different.

ASM is a really tough oil. I'm going to post a 15k+ run from a Crown Vic Police Interceptor shortly.

REDDOG you make a valid point. Factory air filter was replaced with a purolator mid-way through the OCI. I should go sniff around and see if my airbox is not seated. The fuel dilution most likely is from the short running in the winter without warm up.

The TBN indicates that the oil still has a bit of life left. I wouldn't say that it was run too long.

I'd say, as Buster did, that 15k is a good sweet spot for ASM in this application. Especially when you examine the severity of service. All and all it works for me and if I time it right it should keep me from having to be on my back in the winter getting mag-chloride in my eyes. I'm going to address the air intake side of the equation and see what the XL looks like at 7500 and 10000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back