2007 6.0L Ford Powerstroke question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an '07 6.0L Powerstroke in an F250. The oil filter is of the engine. I want to change the oil and need to know what size the hex is on top of the filter canister, anybody know? I have sockets up to 1 1/4 and it isn't close. Thanks

I found mine at AutoZone. It was well worth the 15 bucks (I think that's how much it was).
It fits the oil filter and the fuel/water separator.
Mine is 1/2" drive. It will say 36mm axle socket.

Interesting. The cannister cap for the oil filter on my BMW is also a 36mm. a six point socket is definitely worth buying.

also, if you buy an aftermarket filter that has the top attached to it, bring it back and get an OEM filter. or if you have to use it, dont throw the OEM cap away.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
also, if you buy an aftermarket filter that has the top attached to it, bring it back and get an OEM filter. or if you have to use it, dont throw the OEM cap away.

Agreed!
Don't use anything but Motorcraft, Racor, replacement cartridge filters.
Definitely don't chunk your OEM cap! I almost did!

Ooops, I changed the oil this morning and used a Purolator PureOne oil filter; it fit perfectly with the oem cap. I used a cresent wrench but could tell that wasn't gonna cut it long term.

So ya'll are saying that I'm gonna hurt my engine using the PureOne oil filter? Even if it fits with the oem top?

If you bought it from Advanced Auto, they also carry Motorcraft. You could go there and put the two side by side and compare the markings on the filters and most importantly the height of the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back