2006 Ranger/b2300 driveshaft issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Issue appears to be an out of balance driveshaft; Once in a while, the shifter (MT) i feel a wobble and the vehicle bobbles at high speed

Several months ago, i did a panic brake and slide on a wet sandy state highway and I think the issue started then.

Today I'm under the vehicle and I see the issue; right behind the 5sp MT there is a large metal collar which is supposed to be attached to the DS which has broken loose and it just hanging on the DS. Looks like it is supposed to be press fit on the DS over some rubber donut piece.

That explains why when I stop quickly, I hear a clanking noise, the vibration disappears. The donut is slipping onto the yoke of the MT.

Why is there a 20lb slug on the DS. I assume this is for balancing, does that mean it has to be balanced in a particular orientation or is it just for vibration mitigation?

Pretty bad design, wondering what I should do to fix. Can I just glue the donut back on? What would I use?

Thanks.

-Thomas.

edit:this is it; seems like a common issue.

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=ford%20ranger%20drive%20shaft%20damper%20yoke&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.dmQ&biw=1280&bih=687&wrapid=tlif135899713592941&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw&ei=p6YAUfe4IYT90gGh_4BA

Last edited:
from your link its described as a harmonic balancer to dampen vibrations like the balancer on a crankshaft.

i guess you could try several things like gluing it back on etc.

I guess if it was mine i would try tack welding it back on in several spots.

Since it has already come apart, I don't think you could do any harm by trying glue. Maybe JB Weld.

I doubt it's a very precise part requiring any kind of exact alignment. As suggested, removal would probably also be fine. This is not a highly complex part. Ford built many trucks with this drivetrain combination (M5OD/7.5 axle) from 1987-2011...I doubt all had the damper. It's probably something they retrofitted later on down the line to cut NVH. I can't remember if my 2001 had it.

Some Rangers came with one piece aluminum driveshafts...literially just a drive shaft and u-joints, no dampers, carrier bearings, or slip yokes or any of that. Mine came with one, but I think they were a Super Cab only thing, so there may not be one that fits your truck. They basically eliminated any driveshaft issues.

yah ,the Big 6 E-28s came with a damper. When they separated, they were simply removed with no ill effects. If you have remove the drive shaft, take the time to check the U-joints for slop or binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back