2006 Pontiac G6 OCI Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some recommendations on an OCI for my 06 V6

Car has 118,000 clicks on it, probably 65/35 of highway/city...

Been using dyno oil, usually valvoline and quaker state filters since I bought following the oil life monitor too about 10% before I change...

I been thinking of doing some longer OCI's now with PP or mobil 1 with a good filter... Like a top of the line filter like a K&N or the best wix filter I can get through napa since no local Canadian tire sells mobil 1 filters.

What would everyone recommend for my car... It has a 3.5L v6 in it if anyone was wondering the engine in it. I put about maybe 800 clicks a week on the car with most being highway... I live in canada where she can get cold in the winter with some cold starts and short trips. I was thinking maybe a 15,000 kilometer OCI...

any help would be great so I can extend my OCI and get the most out of my oil filter and protect my engine the best way possible

What is the recommended oil weight in the manual ? Is it 5W30 ?

If 5W30 is recommended then you can use M1 0W30, or ESSO XD3 0W30, and any good filter such as Purolator Pure1 with an OCI of 15,000-18,000km/12mos.

Pennzoil and Mobil-1 are good oil choices. So are the M-1/K&N, NAPA Gold filters. The only thing I would change is changing your oil every 12 kilometers instead of 15.That will better protect your engine the best way possible.

Hmmmm, 2 Different answers one 12,000, next 15-18000. Yes it is recommended 5w30

The car is also driven harder then a typical grocery getter but like I said it's mostly highway with the cruise set around 115 kph. Car is always well taken car off...

Last edited:
Also.... Usually i can go about 8000 clicks little more little less on the OLM

I would also like to switch to the filter the size up from the 3387a my car originally takes, the other one is the 3980 I believe, would that be wise???

I would recommend Pennzoil Platinum for your Pontiac; a great oil with a solid additive package that will not break the bank!

QS conventional is my choice for this car. Drain at 4000 mi..
Use a filter with the orange (silicone) ADBV.

Mobil has an extended performance oil called M1EP that you might want to check out. Supposedly it's guaranteed for 15k miles. It's available in the 5W-30 that you need.

So a click is a kilometer?
Note that the OLM will not differentiate between dino and full synthetic oil. You will have to use your own good judgment.
For the way you rack up the miles, a full synth would be smart.
If you buy right, you can actually come out ahead with longer OCIs, plus the big advantage of not having to change it so often [less PITA factor!].

go with the quaker state synthetic, it would be great in cold weather...i would still go by oil monitor

I want to stop using the Oil Life Monitor and start using Full synthetic because I know after 8000km's a full synthetic will not be beat and need to be drained.... I wanna start using long OCI's and start running A+ oil and filters. 12-15000km's on PP 5w30 and a wix(napa gold) filter or a K/N is what I am leaning against.

Originally Posted By: KoolG6
I want to stop using the Oil Life Monitor and start using Full synthetic because I know after 8000km's a full synthetic will not be beat and need to be drained.... I wanna start using long OCI's and start running A+ oil and filters. 12-15000km's on PP 5w30 and a wix(napa gold) filter or a K/N is what I am leaning against.

PP and Napa Gold is good for 12-15000km's, no need to use K/N oil filter for 15000 km's OCI.

My LS400 OCI was 6-7k miles / 6 months with dino and/or 12-14k miles / 12 months with syn without any problems for 25x,xxx miles. These OCI's were with cheapo oil filters FL400S and/or Proline for 1 year.

has anyone had any testing done on a 3.5L GM engine in a G6 that has gone quite a few miles with like M1 or PP???

Something to go buy for my car... Kinda get an estimate on how far I could go safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back