2006 Patherfinder dipstick oil mark error

So, on my 2006 Pathfinder, after an oil change and adding 5 Liters of oil & filter, the level on the dipstick only shows half way up.
As in the level is half way up the hash marks between full and add. Dipstick and the dipstick tube are not bent.

Any idea why this happens?

We should assume 5l is the amount called for with filter change?

Sources of error could include bad QC of dipstick production, monstrously oversized filter, change in oil pan dimension, inadequate time allowance for oil drain down post shut down, human error (you read the stick incorrectly) or incorrect dipstick.

We had 3 Saab 2.3l engines in the family and all 3 took a different amount of oil to hit the FULL mark exactly.

I would say your option #1 is the only viable answer.
BTW, I don't fill it by the dipstick mark, I go my the 5L that Nissan says it takes. Next trip to the u-pull ill look for another stick, see if its any different

We have the VQ3.5L engine in our 2015 PathFinder and it takes about 4.75L for a complete refill with filter.

So, on my 2006 Pathfinder, after an oil change and adding 5 Liters of oil & filter, the level on the dipstick only shows half way up.
As in the level is half way up the hash marks between full and add. Dipstick and the dipstick tube are not bent.

Any idea why this happens?
Its a common issue with many vehicles. After the fresh oil change, use a scribe or center punch to mark the present oil level on the dipstick after the vehicle has sat overnight. That will indicate the actual "full" mark..

Back