2006 Jetta TDI 5MT 96K- 5,000 mi OCI after camshaft replacement - Pentosin HP 2 5w40

This is my mom's new car. Her excellent condition, Malone stage II 2003 Jetta was wrecked in LA last month. I'm on short term disability with a broken foot from this accident. We luckily found this 2006 a few weeks later as a replacement.

This car is a low mileage TDI and was very expensive, but it is upgraded and in excellent condition. Given the high cost of used cars these days I suppose it is worth it.

Major work done by the previous owner about 5k miles ago:

Frank06 Hard Chromed Replacement camshaft kit, stock profile w/ modified bearings.
Luk Repset DMF/Clutch kit
Frank06 modified EGR cooler
New top end valve and PD injector seals
Malone stage II tune
Taller 5th gear, 2000 RPM @ 70 mph now. New Gear oil
Full timing belt and accessory belt replacements with all new components.
Intake manifold cleaning
VW RCD330 Receiver
New glow plugs and module

The bearing metals I believe are from the break in on the new Frank06 (Vendor on TDIclub.com) camshaft kit. Either that or there is another issue at hand. I plan on pulling another sample in 5K and testing it again.

Refilled with RLI Biosyn HD 10w40 CJ-4

YK0TLIj.png

Last edited:
I missed it. Funny, all my vehicles have many more miles on them without any engine repairs. None are German cars though. Good luck.

I missed it. Funny, all my vehicles have many more miles on them without any engine repairs. None are German cars though. Good luck.

This car didn’t need repairs, the BRM engine has shortcomings due to the PD unit injector and EGR cooler design. Primarily cam wear and cooler leak. Both issues were addressed prematurely before they needed to be done.

Everything else is either maintenance or upgrades.

Once the PD's camshaft and lifters have been replaced, using a good diesel-rated oil should prevent from needing further top-end repairs. There was a rash of failures back in the day, on many 2004-2006 PD TDIs. I spent a good deal of time back then on the TDIclub forums reading all about it and trying all kinds of oils hoping to prevent any issues in my '04. I sold it with 148k miles with virtually no wear on the cam lobes or lifters, so I must've gotten lucky.

If the rest of the car is in great shape, particularly suspension bits that - if rubber - can be dry-rotted/cracked, then I might consider one myself. At that mileage, it has plenty more life to live. It's just a matter of the accessories, interior, and other bits (vacuum lines, etc.) that could give you trouble, being that they're 15+ years old.

Maybe it's just me, but the pic linky no worky.

Once the PD's camshaft and lifters have been replaced, using a good diesel-rated oil should prevent from needing further top-end repairs. There was a rash of failures back in the day, on many 2004-2006 PD TDIs. I spent a good deal of time back then on the TDIclub forums reading all about it and trying all kinds of oils hoping to prevent any issues in my '04. I sold it with 148k miles with virtually no wear on the cam lobes or lifters, so I must've gotten lucky.

If the rest of the car is in great shape, particularly suspension bits that - if rubber - can be dry-rotted/cracked, then I might consider one myself. At that mileage, it has plenty more life to live. It's just a matter of the accessories, interior, and other bits (vacuum lines, etc.) that could give you trouble, being that they're 15+ years old.

Maybe it's just me, but the pic linky no worky.
Forgot to mention:
The "new" Jetta had the shocks replaced with Bilstein B6 units and new strut mounts/bearings. Bushings are original as far as I know.

I had the car re-filled with higher HTHS diesel oil, not C3. PDs need thicker film strength than an ALH, Biosyn 10w40 CJ-4 HTHS is about 4.4 cP so it's pretty heavy. I expect the bearing metals to drop unless there is another issue arising.

It's a direct link from Imgur, so it should show up directly in the original post. I see it, but you may have something blocking it.

Uploaded UOA to BITOG. You should be able to see it now
Untitled.jpg

Now I can see, thanks.

Yeah, the wearing bear might have nothing to do with the top-end rebuild. I'd definitely keep an eye on it and resample at 5K.

Their point about oil pressure makes sense, and I'm wondering if the thicker oil might affect pressure negatively.

Now I can see, thanks.

Yeah, the wearing bear might have nothing to do with the top-end rebuild. I'd definitely keep an eye on it and resample at 5K.

Their point about oil pressure makes sense, and I'm wondering if the thicker oil might affect pressure negatively.

Thicker oil has always increased oil pressure in my experience. I’m leaning towards it being wear in metals from the new camshaft bearings. Well know more in about 5k miles.

Yes, I've noticed the same on my trucks after a fresh oil change. However, the initial time getting that higher pressure always seemed a little longer. Maybe that's what they're alluding to? I do hope it's the camshaft bearings wearing in. Looking forward to your next sample.

Iron and aluminum are excellent. IF copper, lead and tin are from the new camshaft bearings you mentioned you're fine. You'll know more in 5000 mls.

Back