2006 Infiniti M45 - M1 HM 5W30 - 5000 mi

The lower flashpoint is due to me not properly warming the oil up before changing it. I idled it a bit then revved the engine to 2500 rpm to get the oil temp gauge up. Just didn't have time to drive it like I normally do prior to changing it.

Lead is back down to universal averages, which was the only concern I had going into this one. Everything else is at or below universal averages (which Blackstone says is a 4100 mile run). We're driving the car a lot more (current rate would equate to over 20k miles per year), so I inquired about an extended OCI and they recommended 7000 miles since the lead is back down. Previous report they did not recommend extending it out til the lead was ruled out as being at a consistent high level. I think I agree and we'll push 7k this time around with Pennzoil Euro L 5W30. Car uses about 1qt per 1800 miles consistently since we bought it and is normal for this car, so extending the OCI helps with oil costs. If we do 3x/year at around 7k miles that will hopefully be a sweet spot. We'll see how the next oil report looks.

Doing the math, @21k miles per year, 3 oil changes will use a total of 27 qts including top off, while 4 oil changes will use 32 qts including top off. I'm comfortable trying 7k miles at least this once and see what the oil report looks like before doing it again. Oh, and the oil used was a mix: The starting oils was M1 HM 5W30 SN+ (from their 6qt bag). The top off oil was a mix of M1 5W30 (new triple action formula), Castrol HM 5W30, and M1 AFE 0W30. Just whatever I had available for top off.

Here's the report:
06m45100922.jpg

Looks like a great candidate for some HPL engine cleaner. Probably two back to back intervals of it. May help clean and lower consumption. Follow up with some HPL 5w30 and see how that works for it.

These Nissan engines don't like to be pushed with long OCIs. 5k is optimal. UOA will not reflect absolute wear levels.
Let's see if we can dispel this rumor. If we're going to be driving it 20k miles a year, 4 oil changes is a lot, especially with a lot of highway miles. Besides, with all the oil it consumes, it will be getting a fresh quart every 1800 miles to offset the used oil.

Looks like a great candidate for some HPL engine cleaner. Probably two back to back intervals of it. May help clean and lower consumption. Follow up with some HPL 5w30 and see how that works for it.
Single digit wear metals over 5k miles and you think it needs an engine cleaner? Look at the first 3 oil changes and the overall downward trend on wear.

Let's see if we can dispel this rumor. If we're going to be driving it 20k miles a year, 4 oil changes is a lot, especially with a lot of highway miles. Besides, with all the oil it consumes, it will be getting a fresh quart every 1800 miles to offset the used oil.
I might agree with you if you knew the oil change history for the vehicle. I've owned the M35 for 15 years so I'm somewhat familiar with what their 6 and 8 cylinder engines like.

I might agree with you if you knew the oil change history for the vehicle. I've owned the M35 for 15 years so I'm somewhat familiar with what their 6 and 8 cylinder engines like.
I have a Carfax which goes back to 2010, but it's obviously incomplete. Some OCI are <2000 miles, others appear to be over 20k. I'm guessing there are lots of oil changes that didn't get recorded in Carfax. Overall (including my ownership), there are 18 recorded oil changes in 129k miles for an average of 7k OCI (just based on what is recorded).

I'm willing to agree with him, the 5.6 VK56VD is even worse in some regards because it has Direct Injection, they get oil dirty very quick. I think this may be why you saw good results on SAPS oils.

How will you "dispel" this rumor? VQ engine with its aluminum block and long timing chain and small passages is hard on oil this is a design fact not a rumor. 20k miles is a long distance to drive which requires more maintenance no way around that. Can we say yeah we 25 people went to restaurant and our projected check might hit $700 for food so we're gonna order just 1 small pizza?

How will you "dispel" this rumor? VQ engine with its aluminum block and long timing chain and small passages is hard on oil this is a design fact not a rumor. 20k miles is a long distance to drive which requires more maintenance no way around that. Can we say yeah we 25 people went to restaurant and our projected check might hit $700 for food so we're gonna order just 1 small pizza?
Yeah Personally, doing more oil changes does suck. I rather change oil more often then an engine though. If you do not get the lead under control, and run long OCI, that is what lies ahead unfortunately.

Yeah Personally, doing more oil changes does suck. I rather change oil more often then an engine though. If you do not get the lead under control, and run long OCI, that is what lies ahead unfortunately.
I guess I don't see that the lead is out of control. It's 6ppm in 4999 miles (1.20ppm/1000 mi). Universal Average for this engine is 5ppm in 4100 miles (1.22ppm/1000 mi). The Pennzoil Euro L I have in there now will go about 6000 miles before I change it out. We'll see what the lead looks like and go from there. Thanks for the comments.

I guess I don't see that the lead is out of control. It's 6ppm in 4999 miles (1.20ppm/1000 mi). Universal Average for this engine is 5ppm in 4100 miles (1.22ppm/1000 mi). The Pennzoil Euro L I have in there now will go about 6000 miles before I change it out. We'll see what the lead looks like and go from there. Thanks for the comments.
I agree, that is not too bad. I was mostly refrencing with regards to a longer OCI. Thanks for posting the results!

Back