2006 Honda Odyssey - Floating

Status
Not open for further replies.
While pull into driveway to park while pressing the brake to slowly to a stop (while still pressing the brake), the car would float back and forth like it is on air suspension. The first thing came to my mind was bad struts and shock absorber. I replaced the front struts and stabilizer links, and rear absorbers. The problem does not go away. I think it only happen when turning a sharp 90-degree into a parking space.

What could be the problem(s)?

I had a similar sensation with my 2006 Toyota Sienna recently. While going slow (5-15 mph) it felt like the whole rear end of the van was moving back and forth laterally. The unused seat belts were actually clanging against the adjacent hard plastic due to this motion. I rotated the tires front to back and noticed the same sensation, except on the front end. I bought four new tired and the problem is gone. My tires were on their last legs and I think that a belt had come loose internally and caused this issue.

Are your tires worn and ready for replacement?

The tires are still in great shape, a lot of thread left. The weird thing is only it is only happens when I make 90-degree turn from the road into my driveway. It does not do it on the road at stop lights or stop sign or when pull to park in shopping center or my work place parking. My driveway is flat by the way. I noticed though that the front arms, there are rubbers in there and they are busted up.

Last edited:
See if you can get that floating effect pushing on the side of the car to rock it back and forth while it is parked. If it does, have someone else push while you look underneath to see what is moving.

Originally Posted by nZone
I noticed though that the front arms, there are rubbers in there and they are busted up.
Have someone watch the front wheel from the side when you perform this maneuver or watch while they do it.

I did as suggested and the van rocked, but then I did the same to my mdx and it did the same.

What I found interesting is that the air intake tube was ripped open. After I replaced it, the hacksaw floating feeling has not occurred once yet. I don't know how is that related. Also, I had cylinder misfire (about 90% of the time) when cylinder deactivated (VCM), since after a new air intake tube, it is rarely misfired.

Front struts replaced as full complete assembly, plus stabilizer links and stabilizer bar bushings. Rear shocks replaced. All works were done at the same time.

The front arm bushings have cracks, could this be it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back