2006 Honda Civic Si 201,000 miles - Mobil 1 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just posting my first ever oil analysis on my 2006 Honda Civic Si with over 200,000 miles. I have been using Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 for the 2 most recent oil changes and prior to that I have been using Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage Synthetic Blend 5w30 for quite a few years. This oil analysis was done on Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 after 4,244 miles and with a Mobil 1 filter. Sodium is a bit high but there is no other indicator that there's any coolant in the oil so I guess everything is OK?

Heck yeah they do and my car feels as fast as when it was new! I've had this car for 12 years and it's time for a new car (never gonna sell the Si) but I honestly am afraid to buy anything but another Honda. I've looked at Subaru WRX STI, Ford Focus RS and the Golf R but maybe another new Si is what I should get since I plan on keeping my new car for as long as I can.

thumbsup2.gif

Looks awesome!! Either keep your Honda or if you trade,get another Honda. I'd love to have a new red Civic Si,they're beautiful cars! I feel that a 30 weight is the sweet spot for Honda engines. There's NO way I'll ever use a W20 ever again after going to a W30.

I do not see anything wrong with the report, including the sodium since you mentioned that you used Maxlife for a long time. Do you follow the OLM?

Very nice car by the way, I still miss my old '08 FA5. I would've kept it if my wife is able to drive stick shift.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Looks awesome!! Either keep your Honda or if you trade,get another Honda. I'd love to have a new red Civic Si,they're beautiful cars! I feel that a 30 weight is the sweet spot for Honda engines. There's NO way I'll ever use a W20 ever again after going to a W30.

I think these engines are so durable that it really doesn't matter if you use 20 weight or 30 weight oil. My Civic has 235,000 km on it and I've run nothing but 0w20 or 5w20 in it (I bought it with 130,000 km on it) and it doesn't consume much oil and the UOAs look just like this one above. I see no reason for me to switch to a thicker oil in my Civic when the thinner oil has served me well and consumption hasn't gone up at all.

I am not at all trying to start a war here, but why would you never go back. I am curious since my Accord has the same engine as yours and has lived happily on 0w20 for 6 years and 50K miles.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

I am not at all trying to start a war here, but why would you never go back. I am curious since my Accord has the same engine as yours and has lived happily on 0w20 for 6 years and 50K miles.

Well,me being a thick oil guy at heart,just couldn't bear using a W20 oil,so last oil change I installed QSUD 5W30 and it made an already smooth engine THAT much smoother! Especially when Shell Australia specs Shell Helix 5W40 for the K24Z3 Accord,I figured I'd meet the US and Australia in the middle
laugh.gif

If I could still find Edge 5W50 cheap and easy,I'd be using that in my 300ZX. Nissan's spec is 10W30-20W50 for that car. 10W40 seemed to be the sweet spot for that car,but the 10W40's I liked have become non existent,so I settled on a synthetic 10W30,which it loves.

Stop teasing us already! LOL! I use 10w40 M1 HM in my camry without issue

OP: your UOA looks good and sodium isnt that high, thanks for posting
smile.gif

Great report... I am curious on what maintenance you have done on your Civic during your 12 years of ownership? timing belts, coolant, valve adjustments, etc. Or have you only had to do OCI's? Thanks.

Last edited:
I ran 0w40 in my Mazda 3 which specs 0w20. Didn't see much chance in MPG either. Engine sounded quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back