2006 BMW X3 3.0i

I bumped into a BMW X3, 3.0i today. Always wanted a BMW, price is right, like the color, appears to be a Southern Car. Has about 200K miles - right up my alley.

I believe this has the M54 engine which I think is good? I can't figure out the transmission? Seems like the MPG is terrible and its slower than my old truck. I think they were all AWD and I believe I read somewhere assembled by Magna Steyr?

This would be a +1 car. Should I consider it? Are these things at least somewhat reliable with the proper owner, Dashboard Light says there about average which I am OK with.

Excellent engine.
Here is what I would do if you buy it:
1. Replace every single coolant hose and coolant tank. It is not expensive even if you go OE. But you can always get coolant reservoir Mahle/Behr (OEM), Rein hoses etc.
2. Some M50/52/54 and their S versions would have issues with oil pump nut. Apparently excessive rpms eventually vibrate nut enough to unscrew itself. Not sure what is solution, I know some people claim they have DIY solution but I have not researched it as I owned M50 like 20yrs ago. But it seems issue affects mostly M54B30. I would say this pertains more to stick shifts.

2. Some M50/52/54 and their S versions would have issues with oil pump nut. Apparently excessive rpms eventually vibrate nut enough to unscrew itself. Not sure what is solution, I know some people claim they have DIY solution but I have not researched it as I owned M50 like 20yrs ago. But it seems issue affects mostly M54B30. I would say this pertains more to stick shifts.
Do you know if you can drop the pan or do you need to pull the engine to access said nut?

Excellent engine.
1. Replace every single coolant hose and coolant tank. It is not expensive even if you go OE. But you can always get coolant reservoir Mahle/Behr (OEM), Rein hoses etc.
+1

If I bought one of these or any older BMW the first thing I would do is a cooling system refresh. For those cars the parts aren't too expensive to overhaul the cooling system, and you can actually buy decent OE parts from FCPEuro and other sites. Then you know the car will be good for a while. They have other small issues like valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket oil leaks, but those can be fixed in an hour with a $20 gasket.

I bumped into a BMW X3, 3.0i today. Always wanted a BMW, price is right, like the color, appears to be a Southern Car. Has about 200K miles - right up my alley.

I believe this has the M54 engine which I think is good? I can't figure out the transmission? Seems like the MPG is terrible and its slower than my old truck. I think they were all AWD and I believe I read somewhere assembled by Magna Steyr?

This would be a +1 car. Should I consider it? Are these things at least somewhat reliable with the proper owner, Dashboard Light says there about average which I am OK with.
1st Gen X3. Biggest complaints at the time was the stiff ride and cheaper feeling interior.

Excellent engine.
+10000! The best places to buy OE and OEM cooling systems parts are https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/ and FCP Euro. The former is a BMW dealer and the latter has a stellar reputation.

The installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten.

+1

If I bought one of these or any older BMW the first thing I would do is a cooling system refresh. For those cars the parts aren't too expensive to overhaul the cooling system, and you can actually buy decent OE parts from FCPEuro and other sites. Then you know the car will be good for a while. They have other small issues like valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket oil leaks, but those can be fixed in an hour with a $20 gasket.
I think hoses for my E90 on FCP, OE, with reservoir were around $230, all of them.

Loved my X3 too, should've kept it. It had the N47 diesel, tuned to 250hp that really put the "sport" in SUV.

Nice find, OP! In addition to the above advice, I would invest in BimmerLink and BimmerCode along with a good OBD device to connect with.

+10000! The best places to buy OE and OEM cooling systems parts are https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/ and FCP Euro. The former is a BMW dealer and the latter has a stellar reputation.

The installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten.
Those are probably the best OEM BMW parts sources in the US. I lean to the BMW Store because I can use the points from my BMW Rewards MasterCard. I rarely if ever pay for parts or service as a result.

Back