2005 Toyota Avalon oil hose failure @ 75k on car

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my dad drives the above car. And yesterday while very near home after his normal 25 minute drive home, he began smelling burning something and the engine making a growling noise. It was smoking but only a little and it went away quickly.

He had it towed to the dealer this morning after getting under it last night and verifying the filter/plug was still on (he had Valvoline {yes, I know} change the oil recently), which it was.

After the dealer spent about 1.5 hours on it this morning, they called him back to the garage to view the problem. It was a high-pressure oil hose on the engine that had developed a tear and was leaking all over.

Apparently, this is not the first Avalon that has had this issue here in town. The part is "being re-designed" and it's backordered according to the dealer, so they gave him a Camry Hybrid in the meantime. They tried the "it has 75k on it, we're not covering it" routine and I asked my dad if they told him about it being a part that needs to be re-designed before telling him no on the coverage. He said yes, and obviously will have this covered by Toyota. I told him to get an on-paper warranty extension on the engine.
Anyone had this issue here?

There is a TSB for it, it is TSB EG064-05, sounds similar to what happened to your dad.

ENGINE OIL DRIP: BANK 1 VVTi OIL LINE – TSB# EG064-05

Some 2005 model year Avalon vehicles may experience a small/slow oil drip from the
bank 1 VVTi oil supply line on the front of the engine. The oil pipe has been improved to
prevent this condition.

PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN: 4T1BK36B#5U037692

OP CODE / DESCRIPTION / TIME
EG5024 / R & R Oil Pipe / 1.0 hr

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect
for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.

You can view 2/3 of the TSB here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236777

PM if you want the 3rd page.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of the hose in question? On my way home tonight, there was a car on the side of the road that the front end caught on fire. Not sure what car it was. Boy it was a scary sight. I have never seen anything that bad.

Sounds out of character for a gasoline engine. I would consider this odd to have ANY external engine oil lines on a car as these are usually only found on commercial trucks. Keep this in mind if contemplating an oil filter re-location kit. This does sound like a defect that would give immediate operator warning as oil on an exhaust manifold will yield copious amounts of smoke and an investigation,hopefully.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
The new CR issue recommends Chevrolet Malibu and the Hyundai Sonata.

Strange how they can recommend models with recent major redesigns - that is, not yet proven.

Malibu is new for 2008, isn't it? Overall I enjoyed driving it (4 cyl) but, subjectively, the front pillar was too close to your face for a car this size, and I'm not so fond of the looks. Otherwise, in most respects, a very nice car for the class.

Sonata 4-cylinder had significant mechanical changes for 2009 MY even though it looks the same on the outside: The 2.4 engine got VVT for the first time, and an new 5-speed auto transmission. I have little concern about the engine, but this transmission is awful - terrible, sloppy, inconsistent shifting, even after thousands of miles of 'training' if it needs such a thing. (The Malibu's 4-speed auto transmission inspired much more confidence.) Front suspension on the Sonata is clunky, and wobbly overall. The interior is very nice for the price.

Oops, this thread was about an Avalon.
blush.gif

UPDATE:

My dad has been given a brand new Camry Hybrid......for 3 months!
Apparently the high-pressure hose is being redesigned into an all-metal version and can't be had before then.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
UPDATE:

Apparently the high-pressure hose is being redesigned into an all-metal version and can't be had before then.

Wow, impressive. Is it the same hose pictured above?

UPDATE:

This is why folks are pro-Toyota.

I don't think anyone has said Toyota vehicles are perfect or never break. Toyota is heavily invested in providing a reliable vehicle. And when they fail, they often go above and beyond to make things right.

The dealer has to make the effort to go to corporate to get approval for after warranty adjustments such as this, as well as compensation for the 3 month service loaner.

So obviously, in this case, someone said yes, we'll repair it and cover the loaner car.

Yes, it's the same hose pictured.
Now, the service manager is doing the "your car is out of warranty" dance. However, as stated previously, THEY admitted the part failed because it wasn't designed correctly.
My dad will definitely get this replaced for free, I assure you.

Well, Chrysler made good on a cracked dashboard on my Ram 1500 pickup well after the warranty, so Toyota isn't the only one doing this. I wonder if the repair will be free like it was on my Dodge?

UPDATE:

Good for them for giving him a replacement!

Is this the dealer? I ask because:

When I bought my Explorer, it was 1 year old, and I purchased it from a Honda dealer. They had the best price on the lowest-mileage one I could find.

It needed new tires and one of the door handles fixed (it had become disconnected on the inside of the door, nobody had noticed it).

They gave me a brand new CR-V for at least a week (cannot remember the exact time-frame) while these things were being done.

I was very happy with the service. I have found there are some dealer that will go above and beyond. Others wouldn't call 911 if you were dying in their parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back