2005 Toyota 4Runner V6 - Under The Valve Covers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the 1GR-FE (4.0 V6) out of my 4Runner to replace the head gaskets.

Here's an under-the-valve-cover shot for you guys. It has about 90k on it, and been fed a steady diet of Mobil1 since new. Looks good, IMO. Not the best picture, I know.
IMAG0262.jpg

Yep! Clean and long lasting engines. That's been my experience. Both head gaskets or do you mean cam cover gaskets? Just wondering. Also looks like the engine is out of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Here's an abbreviated back story...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=161070&Number=2371593

Started noticing a rough idle when first starting a couple of weeks ago. Then it threw a cylinder 6 misfire. Some research led me to the idea that it might be a leaky head gasket. Turns out, it is. Apparently, this isn't unheard of with this engine, unfortunately.

I pulled the engine. The heads on this engine are tall, and it's a pain to do this job in the vehicle, so out it came. Not that difficult, just time consuming. Two of the bellhousing bolts were a real pain, though! (The upper ones right behind the intake - they were on *tight* and there was no room to work!)

The dealer charges $4-4500 for this job. When it's all said and done, I hope to have
I chose to run M1 in this engine from the beginning due to a few very good UOAs (M1 and this engine) I saw on this site around the time I bought it, so I've used it every oil change since new.

Last edited:
I don't know the history, but I would be pretty bummed if I had to pull a 90K toyota motor out of a 4runner. The good news is that other than keeping the timing gear timed, you have already done the hardest part - aside from putting it back in.

Are you going to get the head and deck milled/checked or just replace the HG?

Yeah, I'm going to take it to a machine shop to get it checked out.

I did most of the tear down yesterday, but progress was halted when I found out I need a special socket for the head bolts. They have a female, bi-hexagon head. SnapOn is the only place I have found that makes such a tool, so I have to wait for it to arrive...

I'm sorry, but 90k for HG's on a newer Toyota???

That's pathetic. I'd expect that on a 1970's Vega, but not a 6-year old modern truck!!!

Geeeze!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm sorry, but 90k for HG's on a newer Toyota???

That's pathetic. I'd expect that on a 1970's Vega, but not a 6-year old modern truck!!!

Geeeze!

Yeah, not what I hoped for when I bought brand new, but it happens, I guess.

Toyota has a new part number for head gaskets, so I assume that they know it's an issue. I hope to get more than 90k out of the new ones.

That engine doesn't look good...it looks great!

Shame about the HG though, no way it should fail that young...there was a HG recall on my vintage of V-6, did not include my VIN, so I've got over 225K on the original gaskets...

My truck is still on the road at nearly 22 years old (bought in November, 1989), fix this and drive yours forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back