2005 Tahoe with 290k rebuild/rehab thread

Quick update. Got my wheels back from the powder coater. These are the OE 17” Z71 wheels in gloss black with newer style black Chevy center caps. Love how they turned out. Fantastic!

New Schrader TPMS sensors are being installed and a nice fresh set of General Grabber ATX in 265/70/17 going on.

Attachments

• 231FAB25-83F7-42CA-B5E9-4386515BB7B7.jpeg
    231FAB25-83F7-42CA-B5E9-4386515BB7B7.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 50
Got some OE size tires mounted. 265/70/17 General Grabber AT/X. Can’t wait to put them on. They look great.

What did the powder coating run you? They look great! I’m considering those tires for my wife’s Suburban. Looks tough!

What did the powder coating run you? They look great! I’m considering those tires for my wife’s Suburban. Looks tough!
Thank you!

Sand blasting and powder coating the wheels was about $480-500.

Grabber AT/X were $950 mounted, balanced and flat warranty.

Funny enough I also have Grabber AT/X on my wife’s 2005 Suburban. You are right, they do look tough.

Attachments

• 88E15C69-7016-4309-A9A3-ED7BBF89E433.jpeg
    88E15C69-7016-4309-A9A3-ED7BBF89E433.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 42
Check this out!

Wow now thats crazy. Super nice truck. Love these things and GMT800 in general.

My Dad has a 2005 2500HD with a 6.0 and 4L80. Truck needs rockers but is scary clean and in really good shape besides that.

I bought it off of him and he is buying a 2022 1500 with a 5.3. There'll probably be another rehab thread on here at some point with me restoring a 2500HD truck.

I did this on my 02 Yukon XL a few years ago. I switched to black carpet and put a black headliner in with factory material. Looked great against the beige seats and door panels.

A few updates from the past month or so.

Took the factory hitch off and cleaned it up. Ground and wire wheeled all of the surface rust off of it. Hitch is still very much so structurally sound.

Painted it with quite a few coats of Rustoleum Rust Reformer.

IMG_0776.jpeg

Factory gauge cluster had some lights that were starting to fail. It had already been rebuilt once before with OE parts. Sent it out to a fella in Texas, business by the name of GaugeWerx and had it completely rebuilt with a Daytona Black gauge face, LED white backlighting and blue needles. Love how it turned out. Oh yeah, had the trans. temp programmed in.

OLD:

IMG_0694.jpeg

Rebuilt:

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0828.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

IMG_0829.JPEG

Next on my list is doing some body work on the rear quarters. I'm NOT expecting any perfection. Bought some body hammers and am going to knock out the rear dent best I can. Goals after that will be to pull the plastic grey cladding off of both sides, sand down with 180 grit, clean with some acetone or alcohol and tape/mast at the body line. Plan to spray both sides with an even layer of Herculiner for a textured look. Before the Herculiner sets I have a can of single-stage WA926L Silver Birch Metallic that I will spray on top to lessen the radical appearance/surface change.

Again, not expecting perfection but just a little bit of "niceing" up.

In preparation for this, I pulled both rear tail lights and polished them with some Plasti-X. They came out pretty good. Much better looking. Beats paying $100+ for new tail lights.

Before:

IMG_0918.JPEG

IMG_0919.JPEG

After:

IMG_0921.JPEG

I did this on my 02 Yukon XL a few years ago. I switched to black carpet and put a black headliner in with factory material. Looked great against the beige seats and door panels.
I've been wanting to do that to mine. gray carpet didn't hold up to children.

I've been wanting to do that to mine. gray carpet didn't hold up to children.
Potential suggestion to save a few bucks, if you're pulling the carpet to replace, pull your current carpet, let it dry and dye it.

One thing I have to say is the OE carpet literally falls right back in being molded and cut appropriately. That makes the job 10x easier.

Been a while since I have posted. Got some good updates in here.

First and foremost, found a local collision guy WHO WOULD DO the body work my Tahoe needed. Some of you might be like... what? But yes, it was difficult to find anyone who would do the job. Some of the larger chain shops did write me estimates, but they only were interested in replaced the entire two whole rear quarter panels at $6-7k of a job.

Had both lower quarters cut out and replaced. Very happy with how they came out.

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG