2005 Passat TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil are you using in your TDI and why?

I found bunch of info on people saying that i have to only order oil from Europe to run in my VW and that it has to meet their 505.00 specs. In US oil for European cars is much more expensive and cost almost double of what i pay now.
I've also run in to some info about people using Delvac 1300, Valvoline Blue Extreme and Delo 300 with no issues for a long time. And since i already have Delvac 1300 Super for my Cummins, i really don't want to keep buying 3 different oils for all my cars.
I do change oil and filter every 5k religiously. I've done oil sample test on my 01 cummins (100k miles) with blackstone labs and they told me oil is good to go for atleast 2500 more. But i still change to make me feel better.
So the questions are.......
What year is your TDI? What oil do you use and how long have you been using it? What works for you?

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Buy a *w40 HDEO and you will have no issues, even with a PD.

Depending if its low saps or full saps. PD need zn/p for the injector pump lobe on the camshaft.

Originally Posted by Olas
PD engins need to use 505.01 rated oils.

Non PD tdi's can use whatever the climate dictates.

Old TDI engines still have to use VW 502.00 spec. as it is synthetic.
Newer, common-rail MUST use VW504.00/507.00
Be specific!

Technically, the old TDI spec was 505.00 while the VW/Audi gas-engine oil spec was 502.00 (splitting hairs, but we are talking VW, so...)

Same with the new specs: 504.00 is for gassers while 507.00 is for common-rail TDIs.

There were a couple of special specs for some TDIs (mainly in Europe and for the V10 TDI, I think) that ran extended drain intervals. Those were 506.00 and 506.01 but I haven't heard of anyone bothering with them these days.

The current 507.00 spec pretty much covers most TDIs, with a new spec (508 for gassers and 509.00 for diesel) now out. Yep, it's a 0w20.

Edit: Your 2005 TDI engine code BHW was designed to run 505.01 spec oil. Having had a pumpe-duse engine TDI in the past myself, and since you're way past any warranty concerns, I'd run a high-quality HDEO, M1 TDT, or Rotella T6. For the price, I don't think you can beat Shell's Rotella T6 5w40. The bigger concern besides the camshafts on those PD engines, specifically in your Passat, is the balance shaft chain gear. That is literally a ticking time bomb.

Read all about it at tdiclub dot com
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andreigbs

Technically, the old TDI spec was 505.00 while the VW/Audi gas-engine oil spec was 502.00 (splitting hairs, but we are talking VW, so...)

Same with the new specs: 504.00 is for gassers while 507.00 is for common-rail TDIs.

There were a couple of special specs for some TDIs (mainly in Europe and for the V10 TDI, I think) that ran extended drain intervals. Those were 506.00 and 506.01 but I haven't heard of anyone bothering with them these days.

The current 507.00 spec pretty much covers most TDIs, with a new spec (508 for gassers and 509.00 for diesel) now out. Yep, it's a 0w20.

Edit: Your 2005 TDI engine code BHW was designed to run 505.01 spec oil. Having had a pumpe-duse engine TDI in the past myself, and since you're way past any warranty concerns, I'd run a high-quality HDEO, M1 TDT, or Rotella T6. For the price, I don't think you can beat Shell's Rotella T6 5w40. The bigger concern besides the camshafts on those PD engines, specifically in your Passat, is the balance shaft chain gear. That is literally a ticking time bomb.

smile.gif

VW 505.00 is old, old spec. Golf II and III with first versions of 1.9 TD engines were using those oils.
VW502.00 was introduced around same time when 1.9tdi 90hp and 110hp (VGT) were introduced. That was 1995/1996 for European market, mostly to satisfy needs of VGT and new 1.8T. In the US, VW thought they could get away with using other oils to make Passat's more marketable, hence sludge issues that were also cause by small sump in longitudinal engines.
The real split between diesel and gas specifications happened with PD engines, 505.01 and 502.00.
VW 504.00/507.00 is interchangeable bcs. European market had low sulfur gas long before US, so same specification covered both diesels and gassers. I worked on developing oil for this specification, and immediate question was why two specification for same oil. But, it is VW, and nothing is surprising when it comes to oils with them.
I agree, those older tdi's want heavy oils, and HDEO would be probably best option.

Last edited:
What year is your TDI? What oil do you use and how long have you been using it? What works for you?

Having had several TDIs over the years, I've used both VW spec oils and non-spec oils and haven't had an oil-related engine failure to date.
For pre-common rail TDIs, I prefer M1 TDT or M1 Delvac, unless money is a concern in which case I'd use the aforementioned Rotella T6.
For common rail TDIs, I'm currently using the 507 spec stuff in my sig since my extended emissions warranty pretty much mandates I use the "correct" stuff. I'd have no problem using T6 in it either, and if I keep it past the warranty period I just might.
For other common rail diesels like the Merc, I've switched to the M1 ESP in my sig after using LubroMoly oils the last 30k miles. No real complaints other than price really.

Originally Posted by andreigbs

smile.gif

I've looked in to it and confirmed it with previous owner. It has been done on my passat. So as far as i understand, i wont have to mess with that again.

I've had 3 TDIs, (2) 2003 and a 2009. Currently driving a tuned 2003 Golf. Also currently have a tuned 2014 Cruze diesel and 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax.

I use synthetic 5w or 10w40 in CJ-4 spec in all my diesels regardless of what the manufacturer recommends. Oil and filter changed every year or when the manufacturer recommends. Currently using Renewable Lubricants Biosyn HD low ash 10w40 CJ-4 in the fleet. After my stash of Biosyn is depleted, I will switch to Mobil Delvac ESP or Philipps Triton ECT both in 5w40 CJ-4.

Use OEM German filters. I like Mahle as the are higher quality than Mann IMO and still manufactured in Germany or Austria.

You should be using a synthetic 40wt diesel oil that has > 1000 ppm of ZDDP and changing the oil and filter every year or 10k miles. If you plan on burning B100 or filtered WMO the oil should be changed 2x as often or every 5k at the minimum.

You should avoid any 507 oils, regardless of what someone may tell you. Looking back, I would never use any low ash PCMOs in a TDI ever again. I would also avoid any E6 and SN rated diesel lubricants. 15w40 oils are typically on the thicker end of the 40wt scale and may not be suitable for a BHW unless you live in a very hot climate.

Change the fuel filter every 20k miles. A quality diesel fuel additive has many benefits and will also reduce soot fouling of your EGR system, intake manifold and oil.

Regularly service your ZF automatic transmission as they commonly fail from neglect, many 2004 and 2005 passats were sent to an early grave from transmission failure.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
I've had 3 TDIs, (2) 2003 and a 2009. Currently driving a tuned 2003 Golf. Also currently have a tuned 2014 Cruze diesel and 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax.

I use synthetic 5w or 10w40 in CJ-4 spec in all my diesels regardless of what the manufacturer recommends. Oil and filter changed every year or when the manufacturer recommends. Currently using Renewable Lubricants Biosyn HD low ash 10w40 CJ-4 in the fleet. After my stash of Biosyn is depleted, I will switch to Mobil Delvac ESP or Philipps Triton ECT both in 5w40 CJ-4.

Use OEM German filters. I like Mahle as the are higher quality than Mann IMO and still manufactured in Germany or Austria.

You should be using a synthetic 40wt diesel oil that has > 1000 ppm of ZDDP and changing the oil and filter every year or 10k miles. If you plan on burning B100 or filtered WMO the oil should be changed 2x as often or every 5k at the minimum.

You should avoid any 507 oils, regardless of what someone may tell you. Looking back, I would never use any low ash PCMOs in a TDI ever again. I would also avoid any E6 and SN rated diesel lubricants. 15w40 oils are typically on the thicker end of the 40wt scale and may not be suitable for a BHW unless you live in a very hot climate.

Change the fuel filter every 20k miles. A quality diesel fuel additive has many benefits and will also reduce soot fouling of your EGR system, intake manifold and oil.

Regularly service your ZF automatic transmission as they commonly fail from neglect, many 2004 and 2005 passats were sent to an early grave from transmission failure.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
I was thinking along those lines. I live in Seattle area so we never dip below 20's here. And if we do, life stops and noone goes anywhere. I'm planning on burning some 2 stroke ashless oil in my fuel 1oz to 1 gallon ratio. I do the same in my Cummins but there I burn used oil or atf sometimes. But in Passat I want to make sure I don't damage EGR system, so 2 stroke only for it and a dash of Power Service Diesel Kleen.
For oil, since I change my oil and filter on my Cummins every 5k. I'll do the same on the Passat.
Funny you mention tranny.
That is the reason I got it. It has bad tranny right now and I'm slowly working on getting it taken apart.

Last edited:
2 stroke oil isn't necessary in a TDI and may be harmful. The BHW is a PD engine which has unit injectors. Very different from a 24v Cummins. I would not use 2 stroke oil in a PD. A quality fuel additive will have aromatic compounds to improve lubricity and detergents to remove injector deposits. Dose additive at required ratio and add nothing else.

Delvac 1300 Super is a SN rated lubricant which has reduced ZZDP anti-wear additives. I would avoid any diesel lubricant SN rated, especially in a PD TDI which are known to have valvetrain issues.

Originally Posted by ruSSrt
Originally Posted by CleverUserName

Thank you for sharing your experience.
I was thinking along those lines. I live in Seattle area so we never dip below 20's here. And if we do, life stops and noone goes anywhere. I'm planning on burning some 2 stroke ashless oil in my fuel 1oz to 1 gallon ratio. I do the same in my Cummins but there I burn used oil or atf sometimes. But in Passat I want to make sure I don't damage EGR system, so 2 stroke only for it and a dash of Power Service Diesel Kleen.
For oil, since I change my oil and filter on my Cummins every 5k. I'll do the same on the Passat.
Funny you mention tranny.
That is the reason I got it. It has bad tranny right now and I'm slowly working on getting it taken apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back