2005 Ford Focus Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2005 Ford Focus with ~148,000 miles on it. It has been an extremely reliable car and still runs great. Noticed it started to burn about a quart between every oil change. Is this normal? Should I get it checked out? I have never changed the PCV valve, but it is in a pita location. Any insights on what you would do if anything if this was your vehicle?

Probably time to switch to a 5w30 high mileage, and have the PCV valve checked.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Check your valve cover gasket. My son has a 2004 and noticed it was low on oil one day. We started looking for leaks, could not find any external. Thought as long as we were digging around the engine bay. Lets take a look at the sparkplugs. Pulled the drivers side one first and noticed it the cavity was full of oil. Did a little google search and found this was not uncommon. 2 hours later we had a new valve cover gasket, plugs and it has not been low on oil since.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
LOL another better idea from Ford!

The PCV valve location on the Duratech is a PITA to access but the blame goes to Mazda and not Ford.....it is a very good engine.

Originally Posted by linuxology
Have a 2005 Ford Focus with ~148,000 miles on it. It has been an extremely reliable car and still runs great. Noticed it started to burn about a quart between every oil change. Is this normal? Should I get it checked out? I have never changed the PCV valve, but it is in a pita location. Any insights on what you would do if anything if this was your vehicle?

Not even changed the PCV in 14 year-old vehicle? C'mon!
One quart in 4-5K is fantastic for that vehicle / miles. Can't suggest what oil weight to use, since you never mentioned what weight you currently use.

Want to thank everyone that had a positive contribution in this thread. Based on previous responses, I will try a higher mileage oil in 5w30 year round and potentially consider a PCV valve change. Thanks.

Originally Posted by LC
Check your valve cover gasket. My son has a 2004 and noticed it was low on oil one day. We started looking for leaks, could not find any external. Thought as long as we were digging around the engine bay. Lets take a look at the sparkplugs. Pulled the drivers side one first and noticed it the cavity was full of oil. Did a little google search and found this was not uncommon. 2 hours later we had a new valve cover gasket, plugs and it has not been low on oil since.

I would say this makes a lot of sense and it's easy to check by simply pulling the coil or plug boot from the valve cover. I see this problem on a lot of cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back