2005 Escalade battery cable

I just replaced the positive battery cable from battery to starter. It also has a wire that goes to the main fuse box and another junction where the alternator ties in. I went to start it afterwards and it acted like a dead battery. As soon as I hook up the battery it starts smelling like rotten eggs. I jumped it and it starts right up and runs fine. But dead shortly after. I would think if the wire was shorted to ground it would make a large spark but it doesn't seem to. Thanks for any help.

I've tried 2 different batteries. Both seem to act dead even when charged. Only 1 gives off the smell though when it's hooked up. The one that smells was the one that was in the car when i changed the cable and was fine before I started.

I wouldn't mess with the one that's out gassing!!!

What exactly do you mean "Act's Dead"? Everything is dead or just the Starter won't crank the engine over?

Having to jump a vehicle with a good battery is usually a connection issue.....Don't dismiss the Ground side of the equation!

It will not crank the engine over. The lights are dim and everything electrical inside is acting odd. I will take a better look at the negative cable. Now that I think about it, it runs right next to the positive down behind the power steering pump. I wonder if I dislodged it while I was running the new cable.

Just wanted to update this post. I ended up putting another known good battery out of a different vehicle in it and it seemed to cure it. Not sure why the original battery that was in it was acting up. Took it to O'Reilly's and they said it tested good.

Back