2005 CR-V Seat belt buckle

I have a 2005 CR-V with the seatbelt light coming on intermittently. The dealership says the passenger belt buckle needs to be replaced…the part is about $700 and labour brings it close to $1000. This is, of course, absolutely insane.

Believe it or not, both the driver and passenger buckles were replaced 4 years ago, though Honda covered the parts under a “goodwill” warranty. I’m not sure why that wouldn’t be the case now but they are refusing. I’m in Canada, where we do not have lifetime warranty for restraint systems.

When the light is on the airbag system is disabled so doing nothing isn’t a good option. I’m looking for other more reasonable ways to resolve this and the only thing I can think of is getting a used buckle from a wrecking yard and doing it myself.

Has anyone ever successfully had Honda Canada cover the cost of one of these?

I'm assuming the light is coming on with the seat belt unbuckled and the seat unoccupied?

If you buckle the passenger side seat belt with the seat unoccupied, does the SB warning light stay off?

I'm assuming the light is coming on with the seat belt unbuckled and the seat unoccupied?

If you buckle the passenger side seat belt with the seat unoccupied, does the SB warning light stay off?
I confused the name of the light. It’s the SRS light, the one with the airbag. Anyway, it will come on randomly and stay on for up to a few weeks and then go off for a similar period of time. Doesn’t matter if someone is in the seat or not. I haven’t tried buckling it without anyone in there.

I do believe them about the buckle having an issue, as this is exactly what happened last time and it was good for several years.

Take the buckle apart and clean the contacts inside.
Yes the buckle switch is going to just be a simple two-wire open/closed circuit. If it has had food or drink spilled in it, remove it from the car and flush with lots of water.

The air bag will still work if the passenger is detected as not buckled. It will deploy more aggressively than if the passenger is buckled.

Yes the buckle switch is going to just be a simple two-wire open/closed circuit. If it has had food or drink spilled in it, remove it from the car and flush with lots of water.

The air bag will still work if the passenger is detected as not buckled. It will deploy more aggressively than if the passenger is buckled.
It's been made clear to me that if the SRS light is on the airbag system will not deploy. Are you saying that's not the case?

Is this a belt-tensioning system? Those are (a) expensive and (b) will light SRS light if faulty.

Doing a quick internet search, it appears that this is a chronic issue with the CR-V. :confused:
It's a chronic issue with Hondas in particular
There was a big recall back in the early 90s because Takata (of airbag fame) buckles would fail/stick/jamm with the plastic of the release button shattering

That's why many (predominantly Japanese) automakers adopted the "lifetime seatbelt warranty"

More recently made seat belts are under scrutiny that were made my the now defunct Takata corp.

That you will have varying degrees of success getting a dealership to honor 👀

I guess they didn't share the generosity with our neighbors to the north 🙄

American Honda is full of many things, goodwill is not one of them 👨‍🦯

Try contact cleaner, and cycling the buckles, clear the codes and try again

Wrong. The light indicates there is a fault in the system. If the passenger buckle is faulty, that has nothing to do with the drivers airbag and that one should work just fine.
What’s your source for this info? The Honda mechanic indicated that on the CR-V the airbags will not deploy if the SRS light is on. I also see that on various sites when browsing.
If you have clear info otherwise, I’d be interested to hear it.

Just common sense. Honda wouldn't risk a huge liability potential if the drivers airbag didn't deploy just because of a fault on the passenger side. The Honda mechanic is telling you that so you will have him fix it.

Will airbags deploy if the SRS light is on? - Quora​

https://www.quora.com › Will-airbags-deploy-if-the-SRS-...

Jun 18, 2021 — Can you? Yes, most cars will operate normally with the airbag warning light on. Are you allowed to? Will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but ...
2 answers · 0 votes: The light indicates the system has a problem. Without knowing why the light is o

Crc contact cleaner and simikar, is/are great at dissolving and flushing harxened dust and detritus off the surface of conductive surfaces.

But if thimose conductive surfaces are rough with oxidation, that rough oxidized surface remains.

Caig DEOXIT d5 spray does not exit its smaller, significantly more.expensive can with same volume.nor velocity, but it will turn those rough oxidized electrically resistive surfaces to a smooth buttery lubed finish, especially if.one can get it on a q tip or precision swab and wipe those surfaces with it

Caig deOxit on an older micro usb phone charge port connection had my phone go from charging at a 0.41 amp maximum to 1.16a, and seat with a click that a new high $ cord itself could not achieve alone.
Ribbon connectors inside led backlit tvs stopped flickering leds with a quick blast of the u ooened connector, fixes dead remote buttons......

I could make a long list of things it saved or improved, and some that it had no right to, it was a final attempt , a circuit board spray and pray before tossing, and it just worked.

It's about as close to magic electric juice as a product can be.
Use crc qed first, but not last.

Back