2005 corolla AC doesnt work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Bill, do you have pictures of this condenser guard?
It's just a piece of screen tied away and across the condenser.

I'm late for work.. I'll try to look up the thread and get a photo of what I did up...

Bill

A *slight* pin hole from a rock would kill the condenser.

But they SHOULD have put gauges on the system and *IF* the condenser WAS damaged, there would be NO freon.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
A *slight* pin hole from a rock would kill the condenser.

But they SHOULD have put gauges on the system and *IF* the condenser WAS damaged, there would be NO freon.

Bill

i made her a list to give the tech to check. i am going to stop by there on the way home from work and hopefully get to talk with someone.. 05 shouldnt have issue at all. it is well maintained and personnaly if the condenser is damaged yota should pay for it since they designed the [censored] thing. they fixed it in 07. i am livid

Condensers are not cheap, I think they beefed them up in the later years.

Bill, I am not sure if you made a thread about the screen, but you did PM me the pics of your setup.

Originally Posted By: mikeg5

i made her a list to give the tech to check.

I'm sure the tech just loved that!

Originally Posted By: dishdude

i made her a list to give the tech to check.

I'm sure the tech just loved that!

well i have seen "techs" misdiagnose many many times so I help them out..

--- Supposedly it was the ECU that had the issues. They said they had it hooked up and when the cycle turned it lost communication with the computer. they checked grounds and wires and everything led back up the computer.. i am beside myself. $800.00 computer goes bad in an 05 TOYOTA... this isnt unheard of bc similar models esp in the SI format had faulty computers as well except theirs just totally went bad and the car wouldnt move.. hers just communicates when it [censored] well feels like it.. i am so [censored]..

they checked the freon level and it was at spec, they checked the condenser itself and no dings or anything. so no leaks. he checked the high and low pressure switches and he said they seemed to be fine..

when we got there the AC was working fine according to the tech and he couldnt find anything wrong. so i told her to tell him to drive it around and mess with it to replicate the problem and when it cycled off it wouldnt come back on and thats how they figured it out (plus hooking it up to their computer and checking wires and such).. it took them about 1.5 hrs or so to figure it out..

thats a big hit in the pocket for a car that is supposed to be reliable..

Never heard of an AC failing to work because of the ECU. I thought the toyota ECUs were Denso? Also, isnt the ECU reflash/repair covered under the emissions warranty? The 06 corollas have a bad batch of ECUs that cause the car to stall while driving.

Last edited:
The Toyota Corolla is made in USA with USA parts (delco).

130k no more any warranty.

Sorry to hear about the problem Mike. Does not sound good.

I hope I don't have any problems. But if it does I'll pay out the $$ (or go to the junk yard and get one for 1/2) and continue with the car.

Ok, I found the photos of my screen for the condenser (I guess it was in PMs between myself and mikered30)

img0158ou1.jpg

img0164kl8.jpg
img0163hh0.jpg

It's not pretty but it works.
grin2.gif

Bill

bill is mostly right.. toyota outsources (through mandate or something of that nature to build in america they have to have a certain % made in america) now that toyota outsources their quality has gone down over the past 5 yrs or so.. it sucks.. i know this new computer will go bad in the next few years and we will have to keep replacing it.. thats how it always happens.. i am thinking of going with honda as far as the cars go... i am so ticked off..

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I might be looking at the wrong part, but isnt the ECU under the cabin air filter, as seen in this pic: http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv155/Exage304/AC Filter/IMGP0148.jpg or is that still part of the air system?

that Denso part under the filter is the fan itself.. the ecu is near there though. i do not have my notes with me or else i would point it out.. follow that clump of wires to the right of the filter and you will find it

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I might be looking at the wrong part, but isnt the ECU under the cabin air filter, as seen in this pic: http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv155/Exage304/AC Filter/IMGP0148.jpg or is that still part of the air system?

that Denso part under the filter is the fan itself.. the ecu is near there though. i do not have my notes with me or else i would point it out.. follow that clump of wires to the right of the filter and you will find it

Thanks

Had a similar issue a few years ago. The car has some front end fender bender and the condenser was pushed/bent and held on until the vibration wear a hole between it and the radiator. The compressor will turn off after a few cycle. I bought it in to a mechanic and he use a fluorescent freon to find the leak, and quote me $500 for the repair. I just paid him a $65 diag fee and bought a condenser off radiatorbarn.com for about $100, install it myself, and check on craigslist to find a licensed AC repair guy to charge the system up for $100.

Still running very cold.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Had a similar issue a few years ago. The car has some front end fender bender and the condenser was pushed/bent and held on until the vibration wear a hole between it and the radiator. The compressor will turn off after a few cycle. I bought it in to a mechanic and he use a fluorescent freon to find the leak, and quote me $500 for the repair. I just paid him a $65 diag fee and bought a condenser off radiatorbarn.com for about $100, install it myself, and check on craigslist to find a licensed AC repair guy to charge the system up for $100.

Still running very cold.

i wished that was my issue.. [censored] ac delco and american/china made [censored]!!

just found out that those ECU's are basically AC Delco [censored]... ugh..

AC Delco doesn't make ECUs. They do distribute replacement ECUs.

Delphi makes ECUs.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
just found out that those ECU's are basically AC Delco [censored]... ugh..

AC Delco doesn't make ECUs. They do distribute replacement ECUs.

Delphi makes ECUs.

if they do or do not it wasnt denso like it should be. either way its [censored] in those models esp the matrix.. sad

if they do or do not it wasnt denso like it should be. either way its [censored] in those models esp the matrix.. sad

Most ECUs don't die, they're murdered. Hopefully, whatever murdered your ECU, if it was murdered, was fixed. Or you will be replacing it again.

BTW $800 for an ECU for an "economy" car is a rip. The one for my Saab 93 is $600 and I guarantee you it's a helluva lot more sophisticated.

I think you have to have a emissions related problem for the ECU to be covered.

Also I think his is out of warranty. From the EPA web site;

"For 1995 and newer model year vehicles, emission control and emission related parts are warranted for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use. Specified major emission-control components are warranted for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use."

130k is a little over.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back