2005-2007 Mercury Montego

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in one of these for the teenage drivers in my house. They seem solid and a good buy. Some models have CVT transmissions and AWD. Should these models be avoided? Any other tips on these cars?

Not if they are maintained. We have a freestyle(five hundred wagon) w/ the awd CVT. Had no trouble. But we have the CVT serviced @ the ford dealer every 30k mi.($5-600)

My family has 4 vehicles on this platform. 2 freestyle's(one was dads, nowcmy sister's, the other dad's twin brother), an 09 Taurus( mom's), and an 09 Sable(mine)
If at all possible, I would look at an 08-09 Taurus/Sable. Cosmetic changes inside and out, different engine and trans(3.5l cyclone/6f vs duratec 3.0/CVT), different (more reliable) ac compressor..

My parents have an '07 AWD (3.0/cvt). They've had 0 issues with it. They love the elevated seating. I'm sure it wouldn't be a "teenager's dream car", but it should be safe, and insurance shouldn't be too bad.

They are very underrated cars. Ford didn't do a very good job of selling these models, my Dad has the Ford version the 500, and it is a great car, with almost European like good handling, nice steering, very good front seats, decent engine and transmission, and excellent safety ratings.

Not many people know that this model was built on a Volvo designed
platform that was designed for the S80 sedan. You can really feel the solidity and good balance that was engineered into the unibody by Volvo at that time.

Last edited:
I had an '08 Taurus as a company car, dull as dishwater but very reliable and comfortable. Easy to get in and out of, lots of room inside, and the biggest trunk I have ever seen on a car. The 3.5 was never lacking on power.

I looked around for 500s in my area and was surprised to find that most of them had rather high mileage for their age. I guess they make good highway cars.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the CVT is prone to failure.

They failed no more often than an average regular automatic transmission. Consumer Reports heard from a lot of Freestyle/500 owners and concluded that. Sure there were failures, yet all automatic transmissions can fail, its only a matter of how often.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the CVT is prone to failure.

They failed no more often than an average regular automatic transmission.

sorry but you cannot rewrite history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back