2004 Toyota Sequoia 4x4 V8 - MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a used 2004 Toyota Sequoia 4x4 V8 and is has been averaging about 15.3 mpg for all driving. My wife changed jobs last week and her commute increased to about 28 miles one way with the majority being highway driving. The first tank on the new commute was 17.4 mpg. I'm fairly happy with improvement, but would like to improve it if possible.

I know the engine is "easy" on oil so I may consider deviating from the factory recommended 5w-30 and looking at a 0w-30, 0w-20 or 5w-20 product. I currently have Pennzoil Platinum in it, but am open to other off-the-shelf options.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have a Sequoia?

PP 5W20 gave my '00 MB E430 better MPG than M1 0W20. Just got back from Vegas trip last Monday, I got 23.5 MPG with M1 0W20 this time while I got 26.5 MPG with PP 5W20 last year July trip. Cruise control was set at 85 MPH on both trips.

If you want better MPG for your Sequoia, try PP xW20.

You are right at the peak of mileage for that engine and weight of that vehicle. I would not, under any circumstance, deviate from the 5W-30 stated in your owners' manual. Because it's a Toyota your mind's eye is saying "hey I s/b getting 24 MPG" but it's not even close. Checking out a window sticker on a new one at a dealer will reveal the number you're getting. Toyota is one of the few that stated window numbers are right on. Some of the 2008s weren't even allowed to use a 5W-20 oil.

Originally Posted By: H2GURU
You are right at the peak of mileage for that engine and weight of that vehicle. I would not, under any circumstance, deviate from the 5W-30 stated in your owners' manual. Because it's a Toyota your mind's eye is saying "hey I s/b getting 24 MPG" but it's not even close. Checking out a window sticker on a new one at a dealer will reveal the number you're getting. Toyota is one of the few that stated window numbers are right on. Some of the 2008s weren't even allowed to use a 5W-20 oil.

I know I'm right in the expected range, but small improvements can add up with enough miles.

You don't buy a full size SUV, 4x4, V8 for fuel mileage that's for sure. regretting your Sequoia purchase? 20 wt will probably not gain anything neglible. 2-3 miles a tank of gas maybe if that

Moving from a 30 to a 20 might get you a percent or two. As long as you maintain your tire pressure, driving style is the only thing that will make a noticeable difference.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
PP 5W20 gave my '00 MB E430 better MPG than M1 0W20. Just got back from Vegas trip last Monday, I got 23.5 MPG with M1 0W20 this time while I got 26.5 MPG with PP 5W20 last year July trip. Cruise control was set at 85 MPH on both trips.

Maybe the PP was just in a better mood for the trip. I often get varying mileage over the same route with the same oil, depending what mood my oil is in.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

While I do not doubt your mileage increase, I surely do not think it was the result of the oil. You won't get 3 more mpg just due to oil. Perhaps you had a tailwind?

Flush the ATF and PSF with a full synthetic like Amsoil or M1...

Use a full synth 0w20 or 5w20 oil.

Full synthetics in the front/rear-ends and transfer case will help.

PSI on tires should be at least 35psi. Too much might PSI affect ride quality, tire wear.....

A 4-wheel alignment should be considered if never done. Find a competent shop willing to set everything and not just 'in spec'.

A couple good bottles of FI cleaner will help.

And, for a little bump in power(MPG if pwr isn't used), get a cold air intake.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
You don't buy a full size SUV, 4x4, V8 for fuel mileage that's for sure. regretting your Sequoia purchase? 20 wt will probably not gain anything neglible. 2-3 miles a tank of gas maybe if that

There's nothing wrong with trying to maximize your mileage, no matter the type of vehicle you drive.

I have had several full size 4x4 SUV's and was able to get a 1.5-2.5 mpg average increase by:

1. switching tires to a more "highway style" tire versus SUV style (when the old tires wore out)
2. Increasing tire air pressure 10% over the spec.
3. Converting the entire driveline to synthetic oil
4. Using PP 5w30 which is a nice thin synthetic (5000 OCI).
5. Using redline or techron injector cleaner every 20k
6. Changing the air filter every 20k versus 30k
7. driving the speed limit.
8. only use A/C when really necessary
9. remove luggage rack cross bars.
10. keep windows up on the freeway

Then I was able to get a 33% mileage increase by: trading my YukonXL 6.0L V8 truck on a Toyota 4Runnner with a V6 and 5 speed trans.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
You don't buy a full size SUV, 4x4, V8 for fuel mileage that's for sure. regretting your Sequoia purchase?

You are absolutely correct. I'm made the purchase knowing that my mpg would be low compared to the previous car and knew that my wife's commute would be significantly longer and have no regrets.

I guess you could say that I'm just open to any small improvements that might be possible along the way. I realize that I could probably get a tiny economy car and save enough money in fuel to pay the monthly payment, but I don't want a 3rd auto.

I just purchased some GC for the next OCI so we'll see if it has a negative impact on the MPG.

The first two tanks on the new longer mostly highway commute were about 17.4 which is higher than the 16 mpg rating on Edmunds.

Almost forgot the slip and u-joints. If you have the fittings, get under there with the grease gun and get to work.

Highway driving responds well to aerodynamic improvements. Installing fender skirts might give an extra 4%, depending on how good the airflow is back there. The front end can probably use a lot of improvement, and even the front grille can be partially blocked if you don't intend to tow or climb mountains.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Highway driving responds well to aerodynamic improvements. Installing fender skirts might give an extra 4%, depending on how good the airflow is back there. The front end can probably use a lot of improvement, and even the front grille can be partially blocked if you don't intend to tow or climb mountains.

Fenderskirts & grille cover...........
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back