2004 Honda Pilot purchased

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by HangFire
I haven't done front struts yet, but yes KYB is a top choice.

Before changing the rear suspension, throw on a pair of Gabriel Ultra shock absorbers. They have the most gas charge and brought up my 05's rear end to the point that alignment was within range again. That also fixed my squat and headlight alignment issues. I have 52K miles on the Ultra's and they are still good. If they do blow or settle I'll just put on another pair.

That site is excellent, however some information was lost on a crash, and the older DIY archives are incomplete or wrong (point to the wrong thread). I use this Internet Archive link for 2013 for the best list of old How-To's:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130607000157/http://www.piloteers.org/forums/18-maintenance/36594-all-diy-maintenance-threads.html#post447538

The external ATF Filter changed between 04 and 05 from spin-on to canister, maybe between 03 and 04 as well. If you do that, make sure you get the correct filter and/or have a good easy return policy. Aftermarket filters are now available. There is also an internal filter but that's a full overhaul replacement.

I never would have found the external filter.. or thought to change it.. found a youtube video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6O8lziIRE

I will most likely wait to change that after I do an inspection of the radiator and do a few trans flushes..then change it out when the fluid returns to a decent color.

Good tip on the Gabriels.. i also will probably do the upper adjustable control arm.. Since this unit is pretty far along in its life I will most likely go with the much cheaper ebay offerings.

I am most likely going to sell it to a good friend of mine.. so i plan on doing everything it needs to give her a good foundation.

Its 20 degrees here so i thought i would at least take a peek at the coolant, trans fluid and air filter out of curiousity.

Coolant- green ..no signs of contamination.. radiator looks amazingly clean (lack of bugs etc).. just a rough once over.

Trans fluid- dark brown smells burnt.

Air Filter- all 4 screws were unable to turn by screwdriver.. so removed with 8mm socket.. Fail. Two screws snapped upon turning.

Air Filter was filthy..both sides. Date 07/09 Made in China..

Diagnosis- possibly 10 years of non maintenance.. just gas and go.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Its 20 degrees here so i thought i would at least take a peek at the coolant, trans fluid and air filter out of curiousity.

Coolant- green ..no signs of contamination.. radiator looks amazingly clean (lack of bugs etc).. just a rough once over.

Air Filter- all 4 screws were unable to turn by screwdriver.. so removed with 8mm socket.. Fail. Two screws snapped upon turning.

And you still think it will go another (trouble free) 100,000 miles? We can agree to disagree

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Green is wrong. Should be blue coolant. When you get a chance, get all of the green out of there and replace with blue.

Originally Posted by CKN
And you still think it will go another (trouble free) 100,000 miles? We can agree to disagree

He never said "trouble free"...

Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by CKN

He never said "trouble free"...

It doesn't matter what you paid (for said vehicle) if it gives you trouble. And it usually never happens at a convenient time....does it?

It sounds like he has a neglectful time bomb.

I have a 100,000 mile warranty on my Hyundai. IMHO-the best warranty is one you don't have to use.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, but every vehicle gives trouble, even if it is for the next owner, unless totalled while still young.

But I guess I disagree about what you paid mattering. Besides reliability, it's all about "total cost of ownership." Does purchase price + fixup cost + first few years repairs come out to less than a low mileage vehicle? Not counting sweat equity, of course, which is a very real thing, but the OP is willing to donate that.

I agree on the warranty you never have to use. I paid $500 extra to get my used Toyota up to Certified spec and get the 100K warranty (from 33.5K). Never had to use it. If I had a crystal ball I wouldn't do that again, but it was sure nice to have that warranty when I had a crushingly long commute and very little free time.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
Great deal for $250, IMO. Stuff like that sells in minutes here in my area.

Tell me about it, easily $2K-$3K even in that condition
frown.gif

OP, you did super well - congrats. Nice find
thumbsup2.gif

unbelievable find. Must've been a dope fiend in need of some drug money. Good grief, I'd love to have that thing to mess around with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back