2004 Honda Civic (5W20???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI

Just wanted to know if I could run 5W30 in my friend's new Honda Civic (1.7L), even though it calls for 5W20. My mustang called for teh same viscocity, but I decided on 5W30.

Check out the thread "Best Oil for Ford SOHC 4.6??"? This guy in there says there's no way he would use 5w-20, and he definately wouldn't recommend it to anyone he knows. Oh, wait a minute - that was YOU!
twak.gif

I'm just playing with you, mf150. The FoMoCo spec for the 5w-20 is a lot tougher than Honda's from what I've heard. If you aren't happy with using FoMoCo's 5w-20 in your engines, why then would you allow your friend to use it in his Honda? I'm sure the Honda won't blow up by using 5w-30. I've got the 2.0L Zetec and I'm running Mobil 1 0w-30 in it right now with nary a problem. My two suggestions are *A) Tell him to stick to 5w-20 while the warranty is still in effect (maybe try Mobil 1 0w-20) or *B) use one of the Mobil 1 -30 weight oils. Apparently, they're a thin oil to start out with, having properties closer to a -20 weight anyway. The only difference he'll get using 5w-30 would be a slight decrease in his gas mileage.

Just my opinion....

Z-

[ January 16, 2004, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

ziTs-

grin.gif
So you saw my opinion stated in another thread...
blush.gif
well, to answer your question, I was just making sure that the Civic engine wouldn't blow up. There is a big difference between a 4.6L V-8 (Ford) and 1.7L import engine (Honda). I know for a fact that in a racing application a 4.6L will do outstandingly well on 5W30 or 10W30, and you are right to cite my opinion that I would not put 5W20 in my engine or recommend it to anyone else for that application (Ford 4.6L V-8). I wanted to clairify that the Honda 1.7L was able to withstand 5W30 vs. the recommended 5W20. I am not sure about the specs. and clearances of that particular engine.

So if anyone who knows Hondas can help with my decision, I would be more than grateful.

Thanks!

PS- Thanks Z for your opinion.
wink.gif

-Matt
cheers.gif

[ January 16, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

Honda dealers are putting 5w20 in engines that date back to the early 90 with no problems. All the dealerships have been sent memos and there is no issues.

mf150, M1 5w-30 will do just fine in this Honda. You may notice a slight fuel economy penalty, but it will barely be noticeable.

Are you planning on performing any UOA's with this car?

Why is it that everyone thinks 20 wts are too thin? For gosh sakes guys, 30 wts was light enough for us 10 years ago, so why do you think thicker is better?
Anyway, I would run m1 0w20 in your new honda civic.
I have the same car(ex 2002 5spd filled with mobil 1 0w20) and its a perfect match for this engine. I would go 5000 on the first interval with the oil, then get a uoa to see how many miles you can extend to. From what it looks like on here, the oil is easily capable of 10000 without change, but I would do an analysis b4 you were to ever go that far. Hope this helps!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:

I did a comparison between M1 0w-20 and M1 5w-30 in my Acura RSX with really tight controls on the 7000mi intervals and found that I had the same or lower wear with M1 0w-20. All my wear metals were 1ppm/1000mi or less.

That's interesting and I just read the one up above someone posted too and it was impressive.

I may just change my mind yet again and give the M1 0w20 a try in my new CRV.

[ January 16, 2004, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Hankrr ]

Thanks for all the imput. I wonder if all the UOAs that have been done for 5W20 have been done on conservative driving. I would like to see a UOA of 5W20 in a racing application. Then maybe I'd feel more comfortable putting it in my Ford GT engine. Until then, it's Red Line 5W30.

As for the Honda engine, the person who I am asking for won't be doing any harsh driving, just to and from work/school. So, we decided to stick with the recommendation (5W20). Plus, she will be having the servicing done at the dealership.

mf150, I felt the same aversion to 5w20 when I got my '02 Ranger. My gut told me this stuff was too thin to protect an internal combustion engine. Then I joined this site and started reading UOA's. The 5w20 Motorcraft has put up some wonderful numbers and the M1 0w20 looks great too. Use one of these oils and you will be fine. If you haven't checked out some 20 weights in the used oil anlysis section, you really should. Its great reading and great info.

That's what I was wondering too when I first came to this site and from what I found out some of the 5w30 weights such as Mobil-1 are at the lower end of that '30' spec anyway.

I decided to run the Mobil-1 5w-30 in my new CRV and feel perfectly comfortable with it. I may even go with the new 0w30 R when it comes out.

I've changed my mind a few times but have dedided to use the AMSOIL 0w30 in my V6 Accord (18,000 miles) as it's 30 figure is slightly thicker than the Mobil-1s.

Any time you use an oil viscosity outside the manufacturer's recommendation you should have a good baseline of UOAs with the recommended viscosity to compare to. That way you can make sure that you're really accomplishing what you think you're accomplishing with the change.

I did a comparison between M1 0w-20 and M1 5w-30 in my Acura RSX with really tight controls on the 7000mi intervals and found that I had the same or lower wear with M1 0w-20. All my wear metals were 1ppm/1000mi or less.

Wheres the data or tests that show Amsoil is "thicker" than Mobil 1? Just wondering does Amsoil offer a LIFETIME protection warranty when using their product?

Same with my Odyssey. I'm thinking the change is due to the widespread availability of 5W-20 now. FWIW I'm using M1 0W-20 or 5W-30 depending on which is available. 0W-20 seems to sell out fast...

BTW, I don't know if the 2004 is the same as the 2002, but my Accord manual states that 5W-30 can be used if 5W-20 is not available.

quote:

Originally posted by Tones:
BTW, I don't know if the 2004 is the same as the 2002, but my Accord manual states that 5W-30 can be used if 5W-20 is not available.

My mom's 2001 civic manual also states that you can use 5w/30 if the 20 isn't available and to just go back to the 5w/20 next time. I'm using 5w/30 Amsoil in it. Should be posting an analysis in a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back