2004 BMW 325i Short Term Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main issue I have had with (old) BMW is they drive/feel tired or nothing special after 8-10 years old/100k+ unless you spend the bucks fix the suspension bits.

My guess this has original suspension bits and you feel it.

OP has nothing to complain about. The power comparison is like being upset that a 1985 Chevette does not perform like a 1985 Corvette. They are both Chevrolet arent' they? so they should both be high performance cars.

OP should go drive an m3, m5 or alpina car if he want's to see BMW performance. Not these pedestrian BMW's designed for daily commuting and fuel efficiency

Haven't we determined that the VANOS is broken? No bottom end power, 10s 0-60? That motor should run crisply with premium gas tuning and functional variable valve timing, not fast, but it should be eager to go atleast at all rpm.
I thought this era of bmw was the last of the drivers cars in the regular trim levels, so it should be "rewarding" to wring it out a little, even if it isn't fast?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
but it should be eager to go atleast at all rpm.

The OP drives a turbocharged diesel, so if he's expecting similar amounts of torque at low rpms as from his Beetle, that's probably unrealistic, regardless if VANOS needs fixing or not.

I have the 3-liter version of this M54 engine, and even then, it doesn't have too much 'go' at say 2k rpm. Then again, I'm not expecting it. This engine really shines at 3K rpm and above.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The main issue I have had with (old) BMW is they drive/feel tired or nothing special after 8-10 years old/100k+ unless you spend the bucks fix the suspension bits.

My guess this has original suspension bits and you feel it.

That's not the case with my 1995 Club Sport with 141k on the clock; the only suspension parts I've replaced are the LCABs. Passengers at HPDEs can't believe I'm running the stock M Technic suspension, never mind after that mileage. As for the 2004 X3, it has 178k on the clock and the suspension is completely untouched- the dealer checked it out last December when I had it aligned and found the suspension to be in great condition.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I have the 3-liter version of this M54 engine, and even then, it doesn't have too much 'go' at say 2k rpm. Then again, I'm not expecting it. This engine really shines at 3K rpm and above.
smile.gif

Ditto for the M42 in the Club Sport; you have to keep it "on the boil" as the Brits say. From 3,500 rpm to 7,500 rpm it's a hoot- even if I beat on it like a red-headed stepchild it still returns 25 mpg or better.

Thrust arm bushings are known to go on these cars as early as within 30K miles. And if you don't replace them, the car will feel floaty, wandering on the hwy. I had mine replaced at 35K or so. I'm at 90K miles right now. My sway bar links are loose and have needed replacement for quite some time too, but I have not gotten around to it yet. I'm sure the shocks aren't as tight/responsive as they once were either.

I'm surprised you reacted so negatively towards it. The 3 series is not a luxury car, they don't swallow bumps or have a cushy ride. I have driven (but not owned) lots of 3 series cars since the mid 80's and I have always enjoyed them. Not for their stereo or power (or reliability), but for the endless brakes and great, well balanced handling. The 328i, 330i, 335i or M3 all have more power, but the 325i should not be 10 seconds to 60.

Those cars significantly reduce throttle sensitivity in first gear in drive. To have power off the line you need to either step on the gas harder or put it in sport mode.

With decent suspension, RWD, sticky tires and the power of a modern 4cyl camry, the tires are not likely to spin.

There are a lot of things I don't like about the 3 series, but I've always found the driving experience enjoyable.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I'm surprised you reacted so negatively towards it. The 3 series is not a luxury car, they don't swallow bumps or have a cushy ride. I have driven (but not owned) lots of 3 series cars since the mid 80's and I have always enjoyed them. Not for their stereo or power (or reliability), but for the endless brakes and great, well balanced handling. The 328i, 330i, 335i or M3 all have more power, but the 325i should not be 10 seconds to 60.

Those cars significantly reduce throttle sensitivity in first gear in drive. To have power off the line you need to either step on the gas harder or put it in sport mode.

With decent suspension, RWD, sticky tires and the power of a modern 4cyl camry, the tires are not likely to spin.

There are a lot of things I don't like about the 3 series, but I've always found the driving experience enjoyable.
Well if the only good thing about the car is handling and brakes, then it's a pretty worthless car.

I didn't really mention brakes for this because this one needs brakes badly, rotors are warped and the brakes suck.

It sounds like this car has been very neglected, but it isn't the car's fault.
Yeah, that's why I didn't mention the brakes. I tried my best to make a review of the car itself minus the issues. Sounds like the VANOS is the problem with power, wasn't aware of that before I made the review.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Well if the only good thing about the car is handling and brakes, then it's a pretty worthless car.

Then you are not BMW's target market (or perhaps historical target market). They can be more upscale than this (the 5'ers and the 7's) but that DOES command a price premium and ride always favours handling over mushiness. My M5 didn't ride like a Lincoln, nor should it have.

I didn't really mention brakes for this because this one needs brakes badly, rotors are warped and the brakes suck.

That, and the VANOS issue, should probably be addressed or at least acknowledged as a caveat in your review. Our old (and high mileage) 328i certainly wasn't a rocket and probably resembles this car in most ways (save the brakes, which were excellent). It was however in proper running order after I changed the TB and would certainly spin the tires if you laid into it from a stop. It didn't have buckets of torque by any stretch of the imagination (my sister's 330i being significantly faster) but it generally had a pretty good power curve, which was, as others have noted, much stronger once you passed 3,500RPM and got into the engine's power band. However the VANOS works to "pad" the bottom end, so it should not be a raging turd below that point and the changeover should not be like a "light switch", so if it is, and is, then, as I noted earlier, you probably have a VANOS problem, which defaults the cams to their fully retarded position, greatly softening the bottom end and causing the engine to really "come alive" when it comes onto the cams at around 3,500.

Bad VANOS seals also cause bad gas mileage. I think this car is an example of why used BMWs are terrible cars for ordinary people (who don't wrench on cars themselves). Basically, repairs/maintenance are so expensive that old BMWs are typically neglected. I will guess the average service job for a BMW is 4X more expensive than the same service job for a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
after I changed the TB

TB?

The throttle body, LOL!
wink.gif

after I changed the TB

TB?

The throttle body, LOL!
wink.gif

Lol yeah that made me scratch my head a little, and I actually thought for a second they must have timing belts.

after I changed the TB

TB?

The throttle body, LOL!
wink.gif

Lol yeah that made me scratch my head a little, and I actually thought for a second they must have timing belts.

NP
smile.gif
Yeah, the DBW throttle body has the motor assembly and TPS as part of it so you can't replace just the TPS, you have to replace the entire TB, which is a bit ridiculous but oh well. The TPS on the 328i was pooping the bed, changing the TB fixed the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back