2003 Nissan Maxima oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
VQ35DE engine code, I believe. Seems to really go through a lot of oil. Like 1qt/1000miles. I've never had something that used this much oil. The guys on a Maxima group say it's normal for these engines. I bought an oil catch can and will be installing it inline with the PCV valve hose to see if the oil is coming through there. A little research says the PCV location just sucks the oil right into the manifold and cylinders. Otherwise do you guys have any thoughts or advice?
Last oil change was with Mobil1 5w30 according to the window sticker. I was planning on using Syntec 0w40 since I have a couple 5qt jugs, but now I'm leaning toward Pennzoil High Mileage 10w40 or something similar. I don't want to burn through an extra 5qt jug of the castrol throughout the OCI, and was thinking maybe a high mileage oil would help clean the rings if they are sticking.

I have the same engine in my Infiniti. Early VQ35's have weak piston rings and valve seals. An oil catch can and new PCV valve are a step in the right direction. Problem with all that oil burning (besides constantly buying top off oil) is that it can destroy the pre-cats and in-turn cause engine damage.

I'd skip the M1 and use a HM 10W40. You're in Cali so a heavier oil will be fine.

How many miles? Do you see blue smoke out the tailpipe?

Last oil change was by previous owner (my uncle). I just got the new PCV and oil catch can, but haven't installed either yet. The car just turned 110k miles. I don't see smoke, but I don't drive it hard either. It seemed like the one time I really got on the throttle merging on the freeway, I could see some smoke. This thing has power! My uncle bought it new and always kept it maintained, mainly at the dealer. The car wasn't neglected mechanically, just cosmetically. And I'm working on cleaning it up in that regard. I didn't know there was a maxlife 10w40. I got Pennzoil HM 10w40 for the last oil change in my LTD. Didn't see a Maxlife in that weight. I will stop at Walmart next time I'm near one and see what they have.

It is always fun to see all of these posts about oil consumption. I got used to it in the rotary world and think 1qt per 1000 miles is normal! Anything less and I would be worried!

But I think you are going down the correct path, start with checking the PCV system. A high mileage oil may be good, but yes these engines are known to have more oil consumption than most of todays engines. Every once in a while you see someone with good results fixing oil consumption after something such as a seafoam treatment.

I had a 2002. had about the same consumption. It's almost all in the piston rings. I wouldn't worry about it. I just kept mine topped off with 10w30 conventional and it always ran like a champ, and it pulled hard too. Mine was a 6MT with HLSD.

Definitely check out the PCV system if you haven't already. I would switch that car to Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40 during summer & 5W-30 for winter if you're in a cold part of California. A thick high mileage oil should help some. If you think a cleaning agent to free stuck rings is needed, use the appropriate amount of Marvel Mystery Oil or use a high detergent diesel oil like Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic for an oil change or two. Good luck! 1 qt/1000 miles is too much for this car in my opinion.

You might be right about the design of the pcv system and location. When I did the spark plugs on my 2004 Maxima, I removed the upper intake manifold collector from the lower intake manifold collector (lower has to come off to access plugs). Where the upper and lower split is right where the hose comes from the pcv valve, and I was amazed at the amount of oil in there when I split them apart. The hose circled in yellow that says 'to rocker cover' leads to the pcv valve. The other yellow circle is where I split the upper and lower collectors. The hose from the pcv valve connects to the upper collector (#2)right before the two pieces split apart.

jrzqsl.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my car when I did the plugs. You can see the upper intake manifold collector with the hose from the pcv valve still attached. In the upper 'tunnel' you can see the hole that leads from the hose from the pcv valve. There was enough oil in there (and the lower manifold collector) that it actually started dripping out while I was doing the plugs.

2ns5lld.jpg

You know what, the 04+ valve covers are supposed to be an improvement over the previous version! But yeah it seems like it sucks a lot through the pcv system. Can't be good for the cats. I got 2 jugs of pennzoil high mileage 10w40 at Walmart and a bottle of gunk engine flush. Probably just kerosene but I've read good things about it. Worth a shot at $5. I'll cross my fingers when it comes time to change the oil. Get a rattle at part throttle around 2000rpm also I need to get under the car and start tapping with a mallet to find the source.

Switching to Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30 helped reducing consumption in mine.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the PHM 10w40 helps. I'm going to run a flush with the Gunk brand stuff before next oil change. Also picked up some Rislone concentrate after reading plenty of positive reviews here and elsewhere. Sounds like the oil control rings get sticky in these and combined with the PCV location causes lots of consumption. Hopefully this helps clean the rings. We'll see.

How about topping off with the HM oil? That's what I did on the 99 Accord when it started gobbling oil. I also changed the pcv valve. So one of the two solved the consumption issue. I wonder what oil was used when your uncle owned it? You may have mentioned the dealer changed the oil.

You should try some of the PEennzoil synthetics where if you sprang a leak with the Ultra with those extra cleaning additives, this wouldn't necessarily be an evil in the truest sense of the word ..(links can be provided upon request)

Originally Posted By: ULTRA_SC3
You should try some of the PEennzoil synthetics where if you sprang a leak with the Ultra with those extra cleaning additives, this wouldn't necessarily be an evil in the truest sense of the word ..(links can be provided upon request)

Whats up with the change from V6vtecv6 to ULTRA_SC3?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: ULTRA_SC3

Whats up with the change from V6vtecv6 to ULTRA_SC3?

He got banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back