2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse idle hunting 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Need some opinions.

Backstory: One morning almost a year ago the car would start and then instantly shut off. Replaced tps sensor which fixed the problem. Few months later engine light came on and it turned out to be the iac motor.

Seems like every month or two thr idle hunting returns with and without the a/c on. It also occurs when slowing down and coming to a stop.

Map/maf sensor has been replaced as well. Throttle body has been cleaned.

Any suggestions? Might look at the egr solenoid next

Having older cars myself, you will need to check every vacuum line, and fitting( even the hard plastic) for leaks, cracks. You may have to use some carb cleaner with the engine running to find them. Some cars develop intake manifold gasket leaks.

Does that car have a mass air flow sensor? My Firebird used to do that and went away when I replaced it.

Edit: Nevermind! Saw that you already replaced that.

I also would've said the IACV, but it looks like you already addressed that as well. My Integra used to have a hunting idle that would randomly dip and rev and it was the IACV.

Update:

After finding no cracked hoses, I found a few articles for testing the sensors. When I started to test the TPS sensor and turn they key to ON, there was a loud clicking noise for about 20 seconds then it stopped. I started the car and it was idle hunting (i had just got back from the store with no issues). While it was hunting I pushed the TPS connector down and the hunting stopped and car went back to normal.

Im going to stop by napa today and pick up some electrical contact cleaner along with dielectric grease. Appears the connecter is dirty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back