2003 H-D TC 88, 4889 miles, Valvoline VR1 20W-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twin Cam 88, With Gear Drive Cams, Stage One. Stock Bore.
UOAEdit.jpg

Looks nice. Thanks for doin' the UOA; it's a good reference point for the rest of us.

Yes! Gear Drive Cams and still a good TBN and Viscosity! No Boutique/Dealer oil needed here!I was surprised it worked as well as it did.

(yawn)

Was this the API "SM" variety?

They were closing out the "SM" stuff around here a while back for $2.29/qt so I got six cases. We have four HDs between me and my Sons so It's not like I was hoarding or anything like that.. hehehehehe.....

I hope they never stop making that stuff !

It does look good, especially for nearly 5k miles.

Why all the sodium in the oil ? You riding on salty streets ?

I have to wonder if this oil would retain it's viscosity as well as it did here when used in a bike engine that shares the oil with the transmission.

I was planning on using Mobil 1 15w-50 in my SV1000 , but after my friend told me his Busa car (he's the crew chief/wrench for a private racer) had alot of metal in the oil when using Mobil 1 I became leary.

He uses VR1 20-50 and loves it. After reading the UOA's of the Mobil 1 15w-50 on this forum, I am seeing reinforcement of his claims. 28-30+ppm of iron seems to be rather high.

Thanks for the info guys !

........................Blake

Originally Posted By: Nihilist
It does look good, especially for nearly 5k miles.

Why all the sodium in the oil ? You riding on salty streets ?

I have to wonder if this oil would retain it's viscosity as well as it did here when used in a bike engine that shares the oil with the transmission.

He uses VR1 20-50 and loves it. After reading the UOA's of the Mobil 1 15w-50 on this forum, I am seeing reinforcement of his claims. 28-30+ppm of iron seems to be rather high.

Thanks for the info guys !

........................Blake
I don't know where the sodium came from.

Well, it does have ger drive cams...

Thats the only place (cam gears) I can figure the iron's coming from.

It is the DINO version

I posted a couple UOA's from this oil on Harley's of mine and a friend's of mine... it's super robust, and nothing seems to actually beat it.

You can spend more money and not do one iota better...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back