2003 Dodge Durango R/T AWD front diff noise question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mileage = 103,000; purchased at 88,000 with unknown maintenance history other than what Carfax showed.

Had my front and rear differential fluid changed prior to my last trip. Shortly after font diff is now making a moaning noise. Asked my mechanic who did it and said it sounds like a bearing and needs to be rebuilt. Called a local shop who rebuilds and told me mine is an AWD version of Durango and needs to be dealer serviced because lack of aftermarket parts and complexity of AWD.

Question, can changing fluid hasten a failure...I trust my mechanic put correct fluid in it or just a coincidence?

Will have to call some more places to see what is going on...anyone have any insight as I know nothing about differentials. Appreciate any info.

Last edited:
It may be something else. Can you describe in more detail when you hear the moaning and when you don't.

Quite a coincidence that it starts making noise after a fluid change.

1. Dump the fluid and put the correct stuff in and see if it improves.
2. Find out what they used, take it to the dealership and ask them to diagnose and document everything in preparation for legal action. Definitely get a fluid sample for evidence, I would also sample the rear to see if they put the same stuff in both. If they used the same fluid in both and the front diff required something special, that's pretty strong evidence.

Sounds like they put the wrong fluid in it. I could maybe see a new fluid replacing FF causing leaks if the old fluid was FF, but I doubt new correct fluid would immediately cause it to start making noise. That's an old wives tales regarding someone taking a neglected trans in for a machine flush, and then the shop blaming the new fluid for damaging the trans.

A fifteen year old truck is fifteen years old but that's pretty low mileage and a very suspicious coincidence. Find out what the correct fluid is and if it's a special fluid you can probably assume they just threw some bulk gear oil in there.

My 2003 Dakota started doing this after a fluid change.

I have shift on the fly 4WD. In 4HI it makes a moaning noise.

In 4 LO it makes a clicking noise.

No noises in 2HI.

Never did it before, but I also turned it on while towing and on pavement. So who knows.

I know the correct fluids were used because I changed them myself.

I know they had issues with the front driveshaft, I just can't remember what exactly right now.... I do know people would remove them and drive without them though.

Thanks all. Appreciate it. Rear diff isn't moaning/roaring, so not sure. Just the front. Might just change fluid myself to rule out. Mine defaults on AWD and has 2hi and 2low I think. Very strange after fluid change...maybe new oil is cleaning and revealing a loud diff? I will keep thread updated for sure. Have a great week all.

Update:

Took to shop and it was the font driver side wheel bearing. Also noticed rear diff pinion seal leak. Got back and all is smooth again. Appreciate all the help...glad it wasn't the diff. Take care all.

Sounds like it came out a lot cheaper than you were anticipating ! :)

Congratulations ! :)

Were it mine , I still might consider a DIY fluid change . Maybe also install diff covers with drain plugs .

Remember , DO NOT remove the factory drain plug until you verify the fill plug can not be removed . Probably not an issue , since the fluids are suppose to have been changed recently .

I have a noob question . You said it is AWD . Are those two diffs limited slip ? Do they require LS fluid ? Do both diffs require the same fluid ?

Thanks , :)

Glad it wasn't the diff for sure. I am a noob myself on this one. Mine is an AWD vs 2wd version...both have 4hi, 4lo 4wd settings. I believe they require same fluid in both front and back. I honesty purchased this vehicle for flat towing behind our motorhome and was in good shape when I purchased around 88,000 miles. Now at 103,000 miles and truck probably has 125,000+ miles as it is also towed. Had another shop tell me they can't work on it (diff. when I initially thought diff.) because of its complexity (AWD) and need to have dealer serviced. Luckily, found a good shop who discovered wheel bearing. I guess the Dakotas and Durangos were built on same chassis, but Durango has a 2wd and AWD drivetrain along with 4WD. Perhaps someone knows more...I just discovered this when I investigated potential diff. issue. Been a great truck so far.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Quite a coincidence that it starts making noise after a fluid change.

1. Dump the fluid and put the correct stuff in and see if it improves.
2. Find out what they used, take it to the dealership and ask them to diagnose and document everything in preparation for legal action. Definitely get a fluid sample for evidence, I would also sample the rear to see if they put the same stuff in both. If they used the same fluid in both and the front diff required something special, that's pretty strong evidence.

Sounds like they put the wrong fluid in it. I could maybe see a new fluid replacing FF causing leaks if the old fluid was FF, but I doubt new correct fluid would immediately cause it to start making noise. That's an old wives tales regarding someone taking a neglected trans in for a machine flush, and then the shop blaming the new fluid for damaging the trans.

A fifteen year old truck is fifteen years old but that's pretty low mileage and a very suspicious coincidence. Find out what the correct fluid is and if it's a special fluid you can probably assume they just threw some bulk gear oil in there.

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back