2002 Toyota 3.0L 93k mi; Amsoil Signature 14.4k mi

Received the Blackstone report. Car had AmSoil Signature Oil and Filter.

17344FBA-670E-4539-B346-9C26763AD58E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As BS has said, the Fe is high, and so is the Si. Check for an air intake tract leak.

5 quarts of make up oil in 14.4k miles? Yikes! Isn't that close to the whole sump volume?

What's make up oil?
That's the oil added after it has been changed, so when you check the oil and it is down, it's the quantity of oil added, over the OCI, to keep it at the level (usually the full mark) you are shooting for.

Regardless of the oil brand/quality, I would never go past 6k mile OCIs on a 1MZ.

Seems like a silly thing to say. As long as the engine is regularly maintained so the oil passages are clean, it can handle extended OCIs just like any other engine.

My long term 98 Camry V6 with the same 1MZ currently has over 350k on it and is still on the road with MINIMAL effort from the current owner who barely changes the oil on it.

The horror stories of old are a fluke in my opinion. A couple bad engines got into the hands of a few bad owners + some poor quality oil = OH NO.

I’ve popped so many valve covers on these engines over the years, I lost count. All were clean and healthy even with not so great maintenance (as seen by the condition of the vehicle itself)

The high iron and Si are the only thing of note here. Mine was producing 2-3ppm of iron in 5-7k miles. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Obviously there’s a filtration issue that needs to be addressed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the many tiny vacuum lines going to the intake box (AFTER the air filter) is unplugged and dirt is getting sucked in.

Seems like a silly thing to say. As long as the engine is regularly maintained so the oil passages are clean, it can handle extended OCIs just like any other engine.

My long term 98 Camry V6 with the same 1MZ currently has over 350k on it and is still on the road with MINIMAL effort from the current owner who barely changes the oil on it.

The horror stories of old are a fluke in my opinion. A couple bad engines got into the hands of a few bad owners + some poor quality oil = OH NO.

I’ve popped so many valve covers on these engines over the years, I lost count. All were clean and healthy even with not so great maintenance (as seen by the condition of the vehicle itself)

The high iron and Si are the only thing of note here. Mine was producing 2-3ppm of iron in 5-7k miles. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Obviously there’s a filtration issue that needs to be addressed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the many tiny vacuum lines going to the intake box (AFTER the air filter) is unplugged and dirt is getting sucked in.
It is not as silly as it may sound, but it is also not as widespread as some would have us believe. There is obviously something to this though.
In 2002 Toyota admitted receiving 3,400 complaints about sludged engines and extended its engine warranty to eight years along with unlimited mileage to owners of 1996-2002 Toyota and Lexus vehicles equipped with 3.0-liter V-6. They also settled a class action lawsuit out of court, agreeing to pay for previous engine repairs relating to sludge.
My 1998 Camry V/6 never developed any sludge, but, I used M1 exclusively since it was new and changed it every 5-6K miles.
I reiterate, I would not go 14k miles on OCIs with a 1MZ.

What's make up oil?
Make up oil is the oil added between oil changes to keep the level topped off.
If you look at your UOA, it shows 5 quarts make up oil. (4th grey row down)
Was that a typo? Or did you put that info in there not knowing what it meant and thought it was referring to the sump capacity?
5 qts make-up is a LOT of oil in 14k miles.

What Artem said + save money by getting the following items Shipped to your door from Walmart. 5 quart jug of MI EP --oem A/F and oem oil cartridge. Change all the above out. Run 10k oci max. Repeat.

Last edited:
Back