2002 Silverado 5.3L, LT, 2wd, Front Shocks

Our 2002 Silverado 5.3L , LT, 2wd, needs new front shocks. Front right Bilstein shock is leaking.

Question?

I am considering Genuine shocks this time around.

How good are Genuine shocks (GM part# 19168179) compared to Bilstein shocks (4600 part# 24029025)?

I noticed that Chevrolet also details a second part# (#19168458). Not sure which one is which or if only one part fits.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

While I don't believe you can go wrong with OEM parts, I don't know that they're necessarily worth the cost/performance difference that you can get from other brands. I'm not talking about buying the cheapest garbage you can find, I'm talking about OEM quality replacement.

When I put shocks on my 03 Burb, I went through most of the name brands and landed on Monroe OESpectrum that were a good value for equivalent performance, even contacted Monroe support to verify that the Spectrum were the correct choice for my application. I've had them for about a year now with no complaints. I don't modify my vehicles, for a number of reasons. I prefer having them as close to stock as possible so that they can be worked on anywhere, not just some performance specialty shop familiar with the performance parts on the vehicle.

If you're using the vehicle where you need higher performance from the suspension, then upgrading above OEM quality would be the way to go.

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
While I don't believe you can go wrong with OEM parts, I don't know that they're necessarily worth the cost/performance difference that you can get from other brands. I'm not talking about buying the cheapest garbage you can find, I'm talking about OEM quality replacement.

When I put shocks on my 03 Burb, I went through most of the name brands and landed on Monroe OESpectrum that were a good value for equivalent performance, even contacted Monroe support to verify that the Spectrum were the correct choice for my application. I've had them for about a year now with no complaints. I don't modify my vehicles, for a number of reasons. I prefer having them as close to stock as possible so that they can be worked on anywhere, not just some performance specialty shop familiar with the performance parts on the vehicle.

If you're using the vehicle where you need higher performance from the suspension, then upgrading above OEM quality would be the way to go.

I can get Genuine shocks for $81.27 each.

It's tempting to go this route when genuine shocks are only a few dollars more than Bilstein shocks.

The second part# seems to be for the 4WD trucks, while the first one is for RWD

The 4wd shock has a fork at the bottom. The RWD shock has an eye at the bottom

Rock Auto has your RWD shocks under ACDelco #540360

How long have you had the Bilstein shocks?

Monroe's seem to be around $40 a piece.

I just put Rough Country shocks on the back of my 3" lifted F-150. They ride very well and were $89 shipped for the pair.

I can't compare it to Bilstein, but that's the shock for my 2001 Silverado with the heavier-duty Z85 suspension. They were good and firm for most of their lifespan. I replaced all four shocks at just over 100k, but I think the back ones were worn out more than the fronts.

I went with Gabriel Ultras based on Steve SRT8's recommendations here. They aren't as firm as the stock shocks, but that's actually OK since I'm mostly driving around empty anyway. (This is a 2WD regular cab shortbox.)

I don't have the receipt in front of me, I think the Monroe fronts were around $60 each and the rears were $40 each. AC Delco was more than double at the time. We're talking about different applications, of course, my Burb is also 2wd.

As I said, you won't go wrong with OEM products, it's simply a matter of justifying the cost difference between a comparable aftermarket part. Within $20 to $50, I'd probably go with AC Delco as well.
cool.gif

The OE shocks are made by Tenneco which is no different than the Monroe monotube shocks they make. I don't have any deep-dive info between the ACDelco and Monroe Reflex Monotube but I rather same some dough going with an aftermarket equivalent.

Contact Bilstein or the distributor you bought your 4600's from, They'll probably warranty the leaking shock. I've ran 4600's or 5100's on every truck I've owned for for over 20 years.....Far superior to OE shocks!

Agreed. Bilstein 4600 shocks all the way. They have performed wonderfully on my Alaskan Silverado.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Contact Bilstein or the distributor you bought your 4600's from, They'll probably warranty the leaking shock. I've ran 4600's or 5100's on every truck I've owned for for over 20 years.....Far superior to OE shocks!

I think I might do that.

Will have to look for the receipt. Can't remember who I bought them from.

For now till I find time to change them. I'm running front Monroe yellow gas magnum 34504 that I got on closeout from Amazon on my 01 Silverado HD and they bounce like crap on Dallas highways and roads 100% not happy with performance of these shocks

I did score 2 rear Gabriel Ultras G63675 @ AZ clearance $20 each and they work great !!

Gonna try Monroe Reflex monotube next on the Silverado and hopefully better performance. Looking for a firm ride

Dave

Originally Posted by super20dan
I put Monroe magnum on the front of my 99 Silverado and the diff is amazing in ride and handling over the oem

Really ????? I have them on my 01 1500HD 4x4 and they bounce like crap ??? Gonna try the monroe reflex monotubes next

Dave

Originally Posted by nwjones18
I'd throw KYB gas-a-just on there and call it a day myself.. I don't think there is anything so special about OEM shocks to pay extra for them.

FWIW, I just put KYB Gas-a-just on the front of my 2wd 2006 Silverado Classic. Love them. Ordered the rears, too, just haven't put them on yet. $186 including shipping, tax from RockAuto.

Last edited:
I'd throw KYB gas-a-just on there and call it a day myself.. I don't think there is anything so special about OEM shocks to pay extra for them.
I agree. I have those all the way around on my Ford F-150, stock suspension and I love them.
Great shocks. I highly recommend them.

Back